is pharmacy right fit for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmp12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I'm considering career between dentistry and pharmacy.
I posted similar post in pre dent forum because I wanted to get opinions from both forums.
I'm currently at 2nd year of college as a business major.
I was wondering if I can get some of you experts opinions on whether dentistry is right fit for me.
To introduce little bit about myself, I'm a 1.5 generation immigrant, so English is not my first language. I'm definitely not an outgoing person, but not too shy either. I like to have procedures or guidelines when I'm doing something. I like talking with people if they have similar interest with me, and I don't like strangers too much. But, I have been working as a waiter for past 2 year, so I can put up with any rude people. Also, although I'm not an outgoing person, when I'm working I can pretty much talk to anyone from my work experience. I helped my dad to learn the business as well so I have prior knowledge and experience on how to run my own business. The thing that I'm concerning about the pharmacy is not having enough control on what I do with the work. I might be totally wrong on this, so please correct me. Since my dad worked at a hospital, I had a lot of exposure to the medical field as a little kid even before entering the elementary school. Because of my dad, I had many chance of visiting the pharm section of the hospital. Whenever I visited there, I saw pharmacists following the prescriptions to give medicines to people without having too much control on deciding what to do. Is this right???
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, not having great potential of making big money is another concern. With dentistry, you can open up a private practice and have a chance to make a big bucks. But, it might never happen. But I love the fact that pharmacy provides stable salary and descent working hours. Also, I love learning about different types of drugs and how they work with human body. I'm very interested in health and exercise, so anything related to that I'm totally in love with.
Also, I have neck and back problem from the car accident. So, being a pharmacist would put less stress on my neck and back than the dentistry. I thought about going into medicine, but I just can't see myself disecting human body and performing surgery on it. Lastly, I want to ask how would future outlook of pharmacy be? Would it be still stable? or would it be hard to find jobs? Also, many people view pharmacist as a boring job, is it true?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone
I posted similar post in pre dent forum because I wanted to get opinions from both forums.
I was wondering if I can get some of you experts opinions on whether dentistry is right fit for me.
To introduce little bit about myself, I'm a 1.5 generation immigrant, so English is not my first language. I'm definitely not an outgoing person, but not too shy either. I like to have procedures or guidelines when I'm doing something. I like talking with people if they have similar interest with me, and I don't like strangers too much. But, I have been working as a waiter for past 2 year, so I can put up with any rude people. Also, although I'm not an outgoing person, when I'm working I can pretty much talk to anyone from my work experience. I helped my dad to learn the business as well so I have prior knowledge and experience on how to run my own business. The thing that I'm concerning about the pharmacy is not having enough control on what I do with the work. I might be totally wrong on this, so please correct me. Since my dad worked at a hospital, I had a lot of exposure to the medical field as a little kid even before entering the elementary school. Because of my dad, I had many chance of visiting the pharm section of the hospital. Whenever I visited there, I saw pharmacists following the prescriptions to give medicines to people without having too much control on deciding what to do. Is this right???
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, not having great potential of making big money is another concern. With dentistry, you can open up a private practice and have a chance to make a big bucks. But, it might never happen. But I love the fact that pharmacy provides stable salary and descent working hours. Also, I love learning about different types of drugs and how they work with human body. I'm very interested in health and exercise, so anything related to that I'm totally in love with.
Also, I have neck and back problem from the car accident. So, being a pharmacist would put less stress on my neck and back than the dentistry. I thought about going into medicine, but I just can't see myself disecting human body and performing surgery on it. Lastly, I want to ask how would future outlook of pharmacy be? Would it be still stable? or would it be hard to find jobs? Also, many people view pharmacist as a boring job, is it true?

I would shadow both dentistry, medicine, and pharmacy. All have positives and negatives. I think a lot of dentistry students like mechanical things from those I know that want to do dentistry.. they like to work on cars, workshop stuff, etc. Like you said dentistry does require physical labor and backaches. I personally can't deal with the smell and I hate giving shots. Pharmacy students are a bit two fold since retail and non-retail are so different. Some really like the patient interaction and others like to be in a more office type setting filling things and working in front of the computer most of the time. For me it was all the biology/health/etc without the touching/smelling/etc of the human body (i seriously hated anat/phys labs).

Any job even the ones that seem extremely exciting will get boring after awhile. But there will always be a few interesting cases here and there. I also think you have a bit of a misunderstanding of what MD/DOs do, so I would look that up first. You are confusing them with surgeons and you might be more fit for medicine than dentistry or pharmacy, especially if making money is a big thing... pharmacy won't really give you the monetary satisfaction that I am hinting at from your post.

Last edited:
Hello everyone

I am glad you aren't one of those pre dents going into dentistry thinking you are guarentee to be the next millionaire. :laugh:
Dentist only make more money then a pharmacist if they open up their own practice. And do you know how much it cost to open up a private dental practice? AT least 1 million dollars. In New York City at least 5 to 10 million. I don't know about you, but I rather owe ~60K and become a pharmacist making 110K a year and have a CLEAN, non smelly job. Then owe MILLIONS (practice+300K dental school tuition= MILLIONS) and become a dentist that touch and smell nasty mouths for the rest of my life. Just a my 2 cents.
Oh and if you think I am just jealous, then think again. I was a dental student at Columbia, before I was here. :p My bitterness comes from the time and money I wasted on the dentistry profession....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Like mentioned. Shadow, shadow, shadow. If you spend enough time watching a profession you willl learn what is actually entailed in the job. That way you can see if you can see yourself doing that job 20+ years down the road. So shadow see what you like.

Hello everyone

Who taught you how to post boy? cut that crap to at least 1/3 the size and use some dang paragraphs.

if im going to read a post like that you better be talking about Victoria secret models or something else good.