is pharmacy right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm wondering if pharmacy is the right path for me. although i'm not a huge fanatic about science, i'm fairly good in chemistry. however, math itself interests me a lot more. i'm juggling my decision on either pharmacy or accounting/finance. i would rather much prefer to have a career in healthcare though (and the pay is awesome), but the competitiveness and the thought of attempting to survive o-chem and biochem intimidates me. i'm hearing most pharm shools these days only accept 90 of its 1300 pool of applicants. it is also rumored that with this fact, job security of pharmacists isn't something guarenteed (which i refuse to believe because retail is expanding everyday).

so what interested you in studying pharmacy? exactly how difficult is the courseload and entering pharm school in 2 years? is it true that in-state students have an advantage of being accepted over out-of-state students? and if you know anything of the field in accounting/finance, what pros and cons can you give me?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been a computer programmer for over 20 years. Some of the applications that I designed and coded were general ledger, accounts payable and payroll. I've worked with many accountants. Accounting isn't an exciting field, although finding tax loopholes can be fun. It is not really math intensive. Most people use software to project present values, etc. If you really are interested in the math end, you should choose computer science. But, the lack of jobs in the computer industry is the reason why I am in pharmacy school.

There is math in pharmacy school. I just finished some kinetics cases and am taking a break before finishing my homework. Most of it is plug and chug formulas.

If you have an interest in how the human body works, what drugs do to the body and what the body in turn does to drugs, then pharmacy might be right for you.

cara said:
i'm wondering if pharmacy is the right path for me. although i'm not a huge fanatic about science, i'm fairly good in chemistry. however, math itself interests me a lot more. i'm juggling my decision on either pharmacy or accounting/finance. i would rather much prefer to have a career in healthcare though (and the pay is awesome), but the competitiveness and the thought of attempting to survive o-chem and biochem intimidates me. i'm hearing most pharm shools these days only accept 90 of its 1300 pool of applicants. it is also rumored that with this fact, job security of pharmacists isn't something guarenteed (which i refuse to believe because retail is expanding everyday).

so what interested you in studying pharmacy? exactly how difficult is the courseload and entering pharm school in 2 years? is it true that in-state students have an advantage of being accepted over out-of-state students? and if you know anything of the field in accounting/finance, what pros and cons can you give me?

Hi Cara!

I am majoring in Accounting, almost done with my BA, and I've recently decided to go into Pharmacy. I love math, and that's one of the reason I chose Accounting. There's different kinds of jobs and field in Accounting, but I've worked as an Auditor for the state a while back. It was fun at first, but then it just got repetitive, and meaningless. I didn't find any meaning/reward to it... not the kind I wanted. The only thing I see... is money in this field. I've heard, the big bucks are where the big firms are at. I don't have facts on this, but according to the people I've spoken to, there's always job available for Accounting.

On the other hand, I've always had an interest in science and how the body works. True, pharmacy is competitive. Even if it takes longer, and even if the pay is not as great as it is, science, health, and helping people are some things I'm alot more passionate about than crunching numbers/Accounting. I know that in the end, it's a career that I will feel good about. Pharmacy itself is something I'm still exploring. I'm currently looking for jobs/volunteers to find out if Pharmacy is really something I want to do. Yet, I'm already in love with the idea of creating a drug that can cure cancer!!

Have you worked/intern for Accounting/Pharmacy? I think it would be a good way to find out which field is more for you.

Well, goodluck to finding your path :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If its money you want info about, pharmacy probably won't do it for you.
Accounting will ( especially after you get a MBA ... sometimes ).
My cousins friend got her MBA about 10 years ago and now she's working for some huge corporation and dealing with huge amounts of money.. I heard she expects bonuses up to a million + dollars per year.
Where pharmacy, you probably top off at $150,000 down in the states and $60,000 In Canada.

If its a job that deals with math, become an Actuary. They make quiet a bit in Canada (roughly 6 figures) so they probably make alot in the states also.

oh yeah, I just realized something.
With a degree in finance/accounting and another degree in pharmacy, you might be able to start your own successful company too!

Basically, get a job at a retail pharmacy to get a true taste of the profession. It will be the only way to know if pharmacy is right for you. And as for accounting, you can probably get an internship at an accounting firm via your school. Work experience and internships are soooooo soooo valuable, I can't stress it enough. Good Luck!

OoShimmeroO said:
Basically, get a job at a retail pharmacy to get a true taste of the profession. It will be the only way to know if pharmacy is right for you. And as for accounting, you can probably get an internship at an accounting firm via your school. Work experience and internships are soooooo soooo valuable, I can't stress it enough. Good Luck!

It should be noted that just looking at retail pharmacy is not a 100% accurate representation of pharmacy. There are many other areas of pharmacy that people just do not realize exist. For example, Hospital pharmacy, clinical, nuclear, ambulatory care, etc... Since you are in the accounting field I would look into a program that has a joint PharmD/MBA program. This way you can get the best of both worlds and obtain a great job. GL

VCU07 said:
It should be noted that just looking at retail pharmacy is not a 100% accurate representation of pharmacy. There are many other areas of pharmacy that people just do not realize exist. For example, Hospital pharmacy, clinical, nuclear, ambulatory care, etc... Since you are in the accounting field I would look into a program that has a joint PharmD/MBA program. This way you can get the best of both worlds and obtain a great job. GL

That's very true. My friends and I had trouble getting experience/exposure in those settings. How does one go about finding a nuclear pharmacist?

cara said:

Here allow me to help you...... As I am a CPA.

Pro - You will always have a job for the rest of your life.
Con - You will work more hours as an accountant than any other profession

Pro - You will have lots of money
Con - You have the money because you work too much to spend it.

Pro - People will love to call you numerous times a day with questions and you get to help them.
Con - THEY DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR THIS HELP.

Pro - You get to help people
Con - They are rich people who dont value your services

Pro - It can be a very structured enviroment with endless opportunities.
Con - The opportunities are endless only if you work an avg of 50+ hours a week.

Just some of my general knowledge...

Eddie Scott, MAcc, CPA

cure4cancer said:
If its money you want info about, pharmacy probably won't do it for you.

Accounting will ( especially after you get a MBA ... sometimes ).
My cousins friend got her MBA about 10 years ago and now she's working for some huge corporation and dealing with huge amounts of money.. I heard she expects bonuses up to a million + dollars per year.

Where pharmacy, you probably top off at $150,000 down in the states and $60,000 In Canada.

Your cousin is getting bonuses up to a million+? What company is this?

This probably just from my own personal perspective, so it doesn't apply to everyone and I don't expect it to, but 150K a year is quite a bit to me. We all come from different backgrounds so maybe that number doesn't resonate the same way for other people, but if I made that much as a clinical pharmacist in a speciality clinic or hospital, I would be in virtual bliss.

Have you considered a PhD in accounting? You can teach for a 130 - 150K starting salary