is PharmD degree important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphetamine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can BPharm be enough for the work force today or is PharmD is a must (other than a hospital, clinical job ofcourse)??

A BPharm graduate can do MBA and/or MSc and then maybe later a PhD (eventhough he doesn't intend to become a professor). So I was wondering if a PharmD is essential or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the BSPharm had gone the way of the Dodo for US schools.

One of the most impressive and influential pharmacists I have met is a BPharm. She was schooled in Australia and did residency in the states. Now she just dominates.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the most impressive and influential pharmacists I have met is a BPharm. She was schooled in Australia and did residency in the states. Now she just dominates.

Bringing up internationals aren't fair. ;) It's like asking if Porter is the best football player then bringing up some Soccer star. Hell in Mexico you get your degree and you could open your own lab next to the pharmacy.

Considering a significant amount of US BPharms do pharmacy of all types, then yes, they can.

Even a BPharm from outside NA?

There's a certain cut-off date that if you're a foreign grad you need a PharmD and not a BSPharm to become licensed in the United States. (2003-2004?) Are you licensed in the US already? If you have a BSPharm and work experience than its usually equivalent to or better than a PharmD (depending on particulars of course).

No. iphetamine goes to school in Egypt. It's one of those details that I'll never forget... unusual name + unusual country = easy to remember

No. iphetamine goes to school in Egypt. It's one of those details that I'll never forget... unusual name + unusual country = easy to remember

hmm, that's interesting. unusual name, i made it up you know....most ppl have PharmD or Student in their nicknames. ;)

and I don't get how can Egypt be an unusual country, didn't you take geography in 8th grade?

---------

No, I'm not licensed in the US doing BPharm in Egypt.

hmm, that's interesting. unusual name, i made it up you know....most ppl have PharmD or Student in their nicknames. ;)

and I don't get how can Egypt be an unusual country, didn't you take geography in 8th grade?

---------

No, I'm not licensed in the US and doing BPharm in Egypt.

Yes. I took Geography in college, too.

Cleopatra, mummies, pyramids, and Coptic Christians make Egypt seem unusual to me.

FYI: My cousins were raised in Saudi Arabia. That's not too far from Egypt. ;)

Depending on what you want to do, I don't think a PharmD is necessary. What job do you want to do?

Probably retail and/or management, but thought I could do clinical due to it's advantages (money and prestige :p).
Maybe some informatics on the side.

Probably retail and/or management, but thought I could do clinical due to it's advantages (money and prestige :p).Maybe some informatics on the side.
If it's retail, you need your credentials recognized and be properly licensed.* You will need to become familiar with national/state licensing requirements and visa issues (if you want to work in the US and your degree is obtained outside the US).If you want informatics/clinical, you may need to consider a residency/further education...Your interests are broad...

I was thinking, maybe i could do a masters degree to give myself some time and/or work experience and then apply for a PharmD?

I was thinking, maybe i could do a masters degree to give myself some time and/or work experience and then apply for a PharmD?

Nah, don't waste your time. Go straight to Pharm.D if you can.

I have many classmate with good grades who come in pharmacy school with zero pharmacy experience. So, don't waste your time, if you want to practice pharmacy, not doing anything with master.

Then I think I'll do PharmD at Purdue ---->expensive!! 32k excluding living costs and housing >_<