Is Phi Beta Kappa worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedRobin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got an invitation to join, and I hear different opinions about it.
I know there's a one time membership fee..

People said it's worth joining, but I'm not really sure how it's different from the other ones. I looked online to find out about it and it says it's the oldest and most prestigious blah blah blah, but it's what all the other honors societies say.

Is it a society that sends out automatic invites if you meet a certain GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

yes. pbk is one of the few worth joining.

It is the only undergrad honor society that really matters. There is a limited number of students that are invited to join every year and the requirements may vary some, depending on the school (State) you attend. GPA is not enough. You need the right balance of humanity courses and science courses (most hardcore science majors don't qualify because they are lacking other courses)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay the fee, put it on your CV. It looks pretty good since it is relatively selective, but it will never actually come up in conversation/interview/etc.

PBK is just about the only undergrad honor society worth joining. It definitely means something on a CV.

Yes. Several interviewers have commented on my membership (elected as a junior)

Yes, I've gotten a few good things out of it, and it is one of the few that carries prestige across disciplines. Alpha Sigma Nu (the Jesuit counterpart to PBK adding in excellence in service) was another one that was noted by a few schools when I interviewed (mostly Catholic schools or administrators who attended Catholic colleges/medical schools).

Free letter opener sealed (or rather... opened. :smuggrin:) the deal for me.

I never got a letter opener or anything. I didn't even get the 10% Barnes & Nobles discount I was supposed to get. It's worth joining and it's usually pretty cheap. I don't think any interviewer ever mentioned it, but I'd imagine that it could have only helped.

Do it. If anything, it's the oldest and most respected honors society there is. At my ceremony, the president of my school, deans and many professors were present to give us our awards and stuff. It's definitely legit.

It's definitely worth it.

Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi are the only ones worth accepting in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't do it.

don't give in to peer pressure, drug free is the way to be.

:confused: I don't get the random-honor-society thing. It always seemed like a self-perpetuating scam to me. I guess it's a good thing if it could help you find common ground with an interviewer someday, but you could say the same thing about going fishing in your spare time. "So, I see here that you enjoy fishing. Me too!"

:confused: I don't get the random-honor-society thing. It always seemed like a self-perpetuating scam to me. I guess it's a good thing if it could help you find common ground with an interviewer someday, but you could say the same thing about going fishing in your spare time. "So, I see here that you enjoy fishing. Me too!"

I agree - I dont see much benefit to these things

It's not at all easy to get into Phi Beta Kappa.

Yes, there has been a proliferation of worthless random honor societies. Phi Beta Kappa is most certainly not one of these.

Last edited:
Sounds similar to engineering societies like HKN and TBP, if that's the case, you should go for it. Having HKN and/or TBP membership on your resume is incredibly awesome for networking + interviews, hopefully this society has the same effect.

The less useful ones I've joined are KME, UPE and GSE, but hey, I have a sweet collection of pins!

Yeah, they're just a vague descriptor of your academic success.

"This student did exceptionally well." (How well? Gee, I guess I'll just look at his AMCAS application to find his GPA, ECs, etc) It probably means next-to-nothing by itself as far as admissions go.

Is Phi "Theta" Kappa similar?

Last edited:
Is Phi "Theta" Kappa similar?

I'm pretty sure Phi Theta kappa is the Phi Beta Kappa for community colleges (at least that's what they sold it to me as when I joined). Not sure if med schools would be as familiar with it, but it was free for me and I got a nice pin and cords for grad so I was down ;)

I'm pretty sure Phi Theta kappa is the Phi Beta Kappa for community colleges (at least that's what they sold it to me as when I joined). Not sure if med schools would be as familiar with it, but it was free for me and I got a nice pin and cords for grad so I was down ;)

That makes sense, seeing as I'm in CC. It is not free though, $80. Not sure if a nice pin and cords is worth it:shrug:

That makes sense, seeing as I'm in CC. It is not free though, $80. Not sure if a nice pin and cords is worth it:shrug:

I would say no then. I don't know why it was free for me, maybe the chapter at my school paid for it or something. But other than the swag and putting it on my university apps it didn't do anything for me

It is the only undergrad honor society that really matters. There is a limited number of students that are invited to join every year and the requirements may vary some, depending on the school (State) you attend. GPA is not enough. You need the right balance of humanity courses and science courses (most hardcore science majors don't qualify because they are lacking other courses)
Totally agree GPA does not cut it. Well rounded education and I think at my school you had to get recommended. I joined my last semester at school (thats when i got invited) I think it is a lil more prestigious

Do it. If anything, it's the oldest and most respected honors society there is. At my ceremony, the president of my school, deans and many professors were present to give us our awards and stuff. It's definitely legit.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: true that. My school president was a member too and Clinton and Bush are members (rep and demo represent) so you should join lol

I would say no then. I don't know why it was free for me, maybe the chapter at my school paid for it or something. But other than the swag and putting it on my university apps it didn't do anything for me
It gave me $5000 when i transferred!!!

Is Phi Kappa Phi also one of the recognized ones, or would it fall in the 'worthless' category?

You should definitely join, especially if you were invited as a junior. I think it is the only honor society from undergrad that scientists put on there CV. When they are introduced at any talk the presenter always notes they were PBK in college...along with ____ Cum Laude.

Why not join

100% Join. It has been a HUGE asset to me in the job market/medical school interviews. It shows you are not only smart in your major, but you are a leader, and well-rounded with respect to your educational interests.

Peyton Manning is the only NFL player to belong to PBK. A cerebral quarterback for sure. He proudly displays his PBK certificate in his office. Glad to belong to the same fraternity as Peyton.

One more thing- did you invite your family to the induction ceremony? mine can't come and I was wondering if it would be weird to invite a professor that I've known really well since freshman year

That's what I've heard as well.

Very few people are in engineering...

TBP + your major specific one are key for engineering. At my school TBP reqs were the highest of any society, so being in TBP automatically meant you were eligible for the others. So, EE/CEs would get HKN, MEs would get whatever there's is, etc.

Its a waste of time

Last edited:
It gave me $5000 when i transferred!!!

Haha, that is exactly why I joined before I transferred. It helped me win other academic scholarships as well (simply due to being on my CV).

I listed Phi Beta Kappa as an honor on my primary application, and it came up during an interview like this:

"I see you were a member of a sorority...what was it...oh yes "Phi Kappa Beta. Tell me about some of the activities you did as a member?"

Me (I'm a male): "Uh...."

1) Yes it's one of the only honor societies that actually means something. Fewer than 1% of graduating college seniors are invited across the country. At most schools its about more than grades, even though its typically limited to top 5-10%. And most college-educated people know what it is.

2) It requires little to no effort (at least at my school we're inducted as graduating seniors so not really an "activity") - not sure why it wouldn't be "worth it"?

I listed Phi Beta Kappa as an honor on my primary application, and it came up during an interview like this:

"I see you were a member of a sorority...what was it...oh yes "Phi Kappa Beta. Tell me about some of the activities you did as a member?"

Me (I'm a male): "Uh...."
lolwut

Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi are the only ones worth accepting in my opinion.

Can I ask why you think PKP is a good idea? The reason I ask is because my school doesn't have PBK, but recently got PKP and was wondering [if] I get selected if I should join. I searched it and most people think that it's a waste, but was wondering why you thought it was a good idea.

Can I ask why you think PKP is a good idea? The reason I ask is because my school doesn't have PBK, but recently got PKP and was wondering [if] I get selected if I should join. I searched it and most people think that it's a waste, but was wondering why you thought it was a good idea.

Same question. I got invited to Phi Kappa Phi and didn't know whether to join or not. And PBK is only for graduating seniors at my university so nice to everyone who got in as juniors!