Is Phlebotomist position decent to have while a full time student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only heard from one source who said it's not because most of the positions are full time. What would you say? Is the schedule inconsistent? Are the hours too long? I feel like it would be a great way to enter into the medical field. And here, in California, the average pay is supposedly $23/hr.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only heard from one source who said it's not because most of the positions are full time. What would you say? Is the schedule inconsistent? Are the hours too long? I feel like it would be a great way to enter into the medical field. And here, in California, the average pay is supposedly $23/hr.

It really depends on your employer how they set the schedule up. Here we have part and full time positions and people typically work mostly in one shift, ie days, evenings, nights then possibly switch to cover shortages. So if you get an evening shift hospital gig, you could do school during the day and work in the evenings.

The crappier hours you're willing to work, often the more flexibility you can negotiate. ie working weekend nights 3 10 hr. shifts so you can do school during the week.

It's a good position to get patient interaction for health careers and make some pretty decent money, too. It'll definitely give you a view of what healthcare is like. I think it's definitely worth getting trained and certified.

Your best bet is to go to hospitals and clinic websites in your area and see what the available positions are. They should list the shift and hours/ pay period or week. If you can't find the info, it doesn't hurt to call some places and ask. In addition to hospitals and clinics, sometimes places that do big clinical research studies want phlebotomists (we had a place called prax that hired a bunch of my classmates).

I did full time phlebotomy and full time school. I started doing blood draws at 4 a.m., clocked out around noon, then did classes in the afternoon & evening. It was really hectic and I wouldn't recommend it unless you love being busy. You'll never be bored and you'll never have time to spend the money you make.

The work is solid clinical experience but the pay is pretty terrible (even CNAs have better wages but 3x the work). You might even be able to study during downtime but my bosses really hated it. I didn't care. Do inpatient phlebotomy if you can. You'll see all kinds of crazy **** that will either enhance your desire to study medicine or drive you far, far away from the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phlebotomy training is up near the top of the list of things I wish I'd done as a premed. I see evening/weekend phlebotomist jobs listed all the time (mid-atlantic). Halfway through 3rd year and I haven't done a stick yet.

I was a medical assistant and made 15-18 an hour. Cali might pay more. It's a darn good way to get your feet wet and make some money, providing the hours work for you. Like midlife said, having that hands on experience is something you won't get for a while and you'll have a ton of confidence when you finally get to do stuff like that as a student/doctor.

Thank you all! It sounds like a decent pursuit. I've decided to begin the program at my school and will be done within a year.