is post bac for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adriana0824

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a pretty good gpa of above 3.7 but I didnt do so well on my mcats..25. Is post bac something i should look into? Im planning on taking the mcats over in january but alot of schools arent considering that score in the fall 2007 class, so im trying to figure out a backup plan for next year. thankkkkkks

Members don't see this ad.

Adriana0824 said:
Hey i was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a pretty good gpa of above 3.7 but I didnt do so well on my mcats..25. Is post bac something i should look into? Im planning on taking the mcats over in january but alot of schools arent considering that score in the fall 2007 class, so im trying to figure out a backup plan for next year. thankkkkkks

post baccs are really either for students who havent taken their pre-med req's yet, or for students who want to beef up their GPA since it wasn't so hot in undergrad.

Unless you havent finished your premed reqs, I would say you fit into neither of the 2 categories.

I'd suggest just retaking the MCAT early next year (i guess whichever one you feel you would be ready for up through April), then apply in the summer. During your year off, I'd get a health/science related job to make some money and also get experience (which you could include in your application).

Just make you BEAST your MCAT next time, and you'll be fine. I'd say no need for post-bacc.

You don't need a post bacc, you need to study for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I need all your opinion on this. I'm a business major going into my senior in college. I'm interested in appying for postbac premed once I get my BS.

Since I have one more year left in college and many people actually stay undergrad for 5 years for whatever reasons, would it be wiser to just switch majors now and graduate as a pre-med (or anything biology related so I can prepare myself for med school)? I don't think I should give up my BS degree in business administration since I'm so close to the end, but then I feel like staying in school with a switched major would actually save me time and money on a long run.

Please let me know what you think. I appreciate all your honest opinions.

torrance195 said:
Hi all,

I need all your opinion on this. I'm a business major going into my senior in college. I'm interested in appying for postbac premed once I get my BS.

Since I have one more year left in college and many people actually stay undergrad for 5 years for whatever reasons, would it be wiser to just switch majors now and graduate as a pre-med (or anything biology related so I can prepare myself for med school)? I don't think I should give up my BS degree in business administration since I'm so close to the end, but then I feel like staying in school with a switched major would actually save me time and money on a long run.

Are you going to a private school? Maybe you can consider a state school after graduation. I graduated from UCLA, now I am a Cal State Long Beach student. Just something to think about...

torrance195 said:
Hi all,

Hi,

I have an undergrad degree in international business and marketing, and I will be starting a post-bac at HES this fall. From my experience, I would suggest finishing your degree and following that up with a post-bac. A few reasons:

1.The majority of people I’ve encountered feel that the business background is an asset, because when it comes down to it “Healthcare IS a business.” Many healthcare professionals (physicians, nurses, etc) are going back for business degrees—whether it is a BS or MBA.

2.If you finish your major and then enroll in a post-bac program, you will have more time to accumulate medically related ECs. True, you may be “set back” one year or so if you choose this route, but that one year could provide substantial opportunity to pick up research projects, volunteer positions, clinical exposure, etc.

3.This year is a great time to finish your degree as well as to cultivate medical contacts through volunteering, shadowing, etc. These contacts will be critical for getting more involved and the volunteering/shadowing would allow plenty of time for you to confirm that this is exactly what you want to do.

Hope this helps!