Is postbac always necessary?

Started by Renkat2sj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Renkat2sj

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

I recently graduated from undergrad with my degree in scientific illustration . . . i was going to go into medical illustration, but i think i really just want to do medicine. no more art.

I've been doing a lot of reading about postbac programs but I am a little overwhelmed by it all. Is it necessary if you didnt do premed in undergrad? I took a lot of bio classes, but have no physics and only a little chem. Can i just take the classes i'm missing as a student at large at a local college? the impression i am getting is many postbacs are for those with absolutely NO classes in bio, chem, physics, calc.

Also, does anyone have advice on programs? i am in the chicago area. i saw in an earlier thread that goucher has a linkage to U of C, but i emailed them and they said i am in a 'gray area' as far as whether i qualify for their program (since i have had prior bio coursework.)

*lauren*
 
I've been doing a lot of reading about postbac programs but I am a little overwhelmed by it all. Is it necessary if you didnt do premed in undergrad? I took a lot of bio classes, but have no physics and only a little chem. Can i just take the classes i'm missing as a student at large at a local college? the impression i am getting is many postbacs are for those with absolutely NO classes in bio, chem, physics, calc.

It sounds like you're asking if you need to do a formal program or informal program - search around and you'll see a the lists of differences between the two.

Also, does anyone have advice on programs? i am in the chicago area. i saw in an earlier thread that goucher has a linkage to U of C, but i emailed them and they said i am in a 'gray area' as far as whether i qualify for their program (since i have had prior bio coursework.)

*lauren*

AAMC has a good list on their site (link after "Discuss Postbacc Premed Programs" at top of page), also search around on this forum for individual opinions.