Is Psoriasis fair game?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A relative of mine recently got diagnosed with psoriasis on the ankle region (posterior side). She was having these rashes or scaly thingy on her skin. so she went to her FM Physician who referred to Derm and then lab tests blah blah blah and finally got diagnosed with psoriasis and is now under treatment.

I was wondering since its on ankle region, can a podiatrist treat Psoriasis or referral to derm is better.

Members don't see this ad.

...since its on ankle region, can a podiatrist treat Psoriasis or referral to derm is better.
Absolutely. It's all a matter of training and comfort level. Some pods do quite a bit with derm conditions, and others refer most of it away to dermatology. Psoriasis is very common, and I'd imagine most DPMs treat it frequently.

You will probably have a 2nd year class on derm lesions and neoplasms where you learn diagnosis, biopsy, treatments, etc. I'm not sure if Dr. Bakotic goes to Scholl or not... I know he lectures at DMU, OCPM, and, of course, Barry. It's worth catching derm lectures from him, Lemont, Dockery, etc when you get the chance at an APMA, or any other, scientific meeting. They also publish a lot of reviews, cases, or case series in mags like Pod Today as well as JAPMA and other journals.

A relative of mine recently got diagnosed with psoriasis on the ankle region (posterior side). She was having these rashes or scaly thingy on her skin. so she went to her FM Physician who referred to Derm and then lab tests blah blah blah and finally got diagnosed with psoriasis and is now under treatment.

I was wondering since its on ankle region, can a podiatrist treat Psoriasis or referral to derm is better.

The DPM can treat the psoriasis found on the foot, but if the patient also has patches on the elbows they would need a derm referal.

I do not think it is all about what we can and cannot treat, it is also about making connections and the more that you refer to other specialties the more they will refer back. If you only throw stuff that you do not want to deal with to others you will get the same or less back.

Bakotic also lectures at NYCPM