Is "PT, DPT" Redundant?

Started by facetguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

facetguy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been seeing more and more DPTs using "PT, DPT" behind their names. I assume these are PTs who have later completed their DPT. Why not just use "DPT", as using both seems redundant? Is there a specific (legal?) reason to use both?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure I understand what they are saying. Are they saying that all PTs must use "PT", even if they are a "DPT"? That page wasn't completely clear since they don't mention the DPT degree, which I would assume supercedes the PT degree.

We are legally required to sign all medical documentation with our professional designation, which in most states is "PT." Many PTs also indicate their level of education - hence Joe Joseph, PT, DPT.
 
We are legally required to sign all medical documentation with our professional designation, which in most states is "PT." Many PTs also indicate their level of education - hence Joe Joseph, PT, DPT.

Got it. Thanks.👍