Is Rad-Onc so depressive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nature4me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that everything about this specialty is great for a doctor but some questions are important for me to be answered:
first, I want to know how much depressive is Rad-Onc?
what percentage of the patients survive and are cured?
do most of the patients die after a few years?
can every doctor cope with it?
second,I'm eager to know about the future of this field.
Nano medicine is now presenting new methods for cancer treatment and will progress day by day.
can this novel technology hurt the Rad-Onc future?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of the key attributes of a successful cancer physician is the ability to communicate well. I'd go away and work on that for a while before you worry about whether or not to become a radiation oncologist.

One of the key attributes of a successful cancer physician is the ability to communicate well. I'd go away and work on that for a while before you worry about whether or not to become a radiation oncologist.

Hey Clinonc...I don't know who you are but if all you have is a rude and thoughtless reply then stay out of this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just depends on what you find depressing.

I find headaches, low back pain, non-compliant hypertensive/diabetics, vague symptoms ("everything hurts"), hypochondriasis, narc-seekers, acutely ill people that have no chance for cure (i.e. most of the ICUs) depressing.

I find having a chance to cure or give hope to a patient with a potentially fatal disease or providing palliative care to those in pain and discomfort to be very satisfying and gratifying.

In the long run, everyone dies. We're just seeing them a little further down the path...

But, CNS and pediatric malignancy do make me sad, and I wouldn't want to focus on either of those.

-S

Rude? Possibly. Thoughtless? No. I don't allow my medicals students to get away with slapdash communication skills, either with patients or colleagues, verbal or written, and neither should you.

First of all, 'nature4me' isn't your medical student. Secondly, it's apparent from reading the message that English may not be his/her first language. You should try being more congenial.

As for the questions, I agree with SimulD. What attracted me to the field was the prospect of cure. You won't cure diabetes, CHF, or COPD. Compared to ALL of the other fields through which I've had the opportunity to rotate, Rad Oncs seemed the most fulfilled. As far as coping with the job, I've never met anyone who couldn't cope with it. I've heard of a resident here or there who left a program after one year due to such issues, but I don't think that it's all that common.

Concerning "nanotechnology", I've spoken with multiple Med Oncs on this topic. The replacement of Rad Onc with a tailored nanotechnology approach to cancer treatment is truly farther away than most people think. Such tailored approaches will probably benefit our efforts in radiosensitizer treatment before they progress to purely tailored chemotherapy. Cost will drive or hinder change as well; it will be a long time before such technology is not cost prohibitive.

thanks to SimulD,Abnormal Saline and KYLove.
& sorry for you clinonc!
you don't deserve this name(clinonc) at all, because
a clinonc! or a clinical oncologist communicates politlely with his/her patients and colleagues.
you showed me how to communicate well with my patients or colleagues! "NOT to be like you!"
so easy!isn't it?!
finally I'm not your medical student and I'm not a medical student anymore! I've graduated but I had forgotten to edit my profile!

Last edited: