Is research experience really important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhsim0223

Anteather!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current GPA is 3.97 at UC Irvine and I will apply next year.

But..I don't have any research experience!! ( Of course, I do have Average volunteer experience!)

My plan is "Apply dental school without research experience!"

My questions are

1. If I don't have any research experience, does it hurt me significantly?

2. Do you guys know anyone who get in dental school without research experience? If so, could you tell me their GPA and DAT score?

P.S Is it hard to get in without research experience even though I have strong GPA and DAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of people get in without prior research experience.

My current GPA is 3.97 at UC Irvine and I will apply next year.

But..I don't have any research experience!! ( Of course, I do have Average volunteer experience!)

My plan is "Apply dental school without research experience!"

My questions are

1. If I don't have any research experience, does it hurt me significantly?

2. Do you guys know anyone who get in dental school without research experience? If so, could you tell me their GPA and DAT score?

P.S Is it hard to get in without research experience even though I have strong GPA and DAT score?

Most people get into dental school without research experience. This isn't pre-med, where research is the norm, for pre-dents research makes you stand out.

It is my opinion that most schools aren't too concerned with research, and may liken it to any other extracurricular or professional experience. However, coming from a UC, you should note that UCSF and UCLA do take research experience seriously. Thus, you should consider doing a summer research internship (most are paid), or even do research in the Spring semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
HA!!! 3.97!!! My suggestion is to do research and have your pick for ANY DS!

UTHSCSA? Accepted
UoP? Accepted
Harvard? Accepted
Columbia? Accepted
Stony Brook? Accepted

What is your major and have you taken the DAT? Just curious, not like it matters with you're GPA.

HA!!! 3.97!!! My suggestion is to do research and have your pick for ANY DS!

UTHSCSA? Accepted
UoP? Accepted
Harvard? Accepted
Columbia? Accepted
Stony Brook? Accepted

What is your major and have you taken the DAT? Just curious, not like it matters with you're GPA.

I wouldn't give false hopes to the OP like this. A 3.97 an impeccable GPA, but it doesn't guarantee an acceptance without taking into consideration DAT, coursework, personal interview, personal statement, etc.

To the OP: research is something that will distinguish you from other applicants through the process. Good luck.

My major is non-science major!!! And I am going to take DAT next summer...

Most people get into dental school without research experience. This isn't pre-med, where research is the norm, for pre-dents research makes you stand out.

It is my opinion that most schools aren't too concerned with research, and may liken it to any other extracurricular or professional experience. However, coming from a UC, you should note that UCSF and UCLA do take research experience seriously. Thus, you should consider doing a summer research internship (most are paid), or even do research in the Spring semester.

So, if I have an interview at a UC school but don't have research experience, am I at a great disadvantage? How can I go about explaining that I would be interested in research in the future but have not yet dedicated any time to it?

Hey arvin14! your question is exactly what I want to ask!!

I have two interviews so far and they asked me in detail about my research. But both schools are research based schools. But you still have an year, look for something from now on.

1. Most likely they won't ask you about the research experience or lack of it
2. You are okay. I talked to the admissions people personally at UCLA, known for their research, and she says the vast majority of applicants have none or insignificant amount of research and they are used to it. If you are doing DDS/PhD, it is a different story. I have 3.2ish GPA right now and very, very minimal research and I got three interviews. 3.97 should be a cake walk with good DAT scores.

3.82 GPA with no research experience at all with 10 interviews and no rejections thus far. 20 AA 20 PAT 20 TS. You will be fine. If you get to an interview and they ask you why you didn't do any undergraduate research you can tell them that you wanted to spend more time serving in the community and doing extracurricular activities because you felt like these things would better prepare you for dental school and becoming a dentist. I personally dont see how counting bees or looking at bacteria under a microscope with no monitary compensation is going to make me a better candidate for ds or a better dentist. So I chose other things. I have had 5 interviews so far and have never been asked why i didnt do research.

Judging by UCSF topping the charts for NIH and NIDCR funding, research is a very important consideration for UCSF. In other words, git sum.

It won't keep you from getting it, but it will help. And I'm sure UCSF has enough applicants with ~4.0 and ~20+ to fill their entire class with them. It will help you stand out. You seem to be very resistant to the idea, and if you hate research, than don't do it. However, if you can tolerate it for the spring semester, you should do it. You want to be able to say to yourself, and say to admissions "I did everything I possibly could to get into X dental school." That's how I feel anyway. But what do I know.

btw I'm super jealous of your UoP interview...

I know I'm super excited for that one =P I think my letter of recs really helped for UOP....my doctor I work for, her three brothers all went to UOP dental school.

I'm interviewing at UCSF, with no research experience. So I don't think its the end-all if you don't have any.

I agree that it isn't critical, but I disagree with some of the above posts. It brings validity to your knowledge and science application. It's one thing to study and do well in a class, another to apply that knowledge and think creatively and actually contribute to the science community. Plus, it gives you a really strong letter if you match up w/ a professor you've done well with in his/her course.

I did 9 months bio-organic synthesis research...

research is necessary for grad admission.

Both of D-school & Med-school don't reject you because of no experience in research.

However, having research experience (idealy in your interest field & persistant efforts and significant outcomes or contribution) seems to raise ur credential for sure!

I am not sure about UCSF, though!

Are there some sucessful d-students with highly recognized research contribution or experience during&after D-school without undergrad research experience. Anyone? Any friends or peers?

Boy, why not increasing your chances? You are fortunate enough to find SDN this early. I found it a month before submitting my application. I never knew research in undergrad could make your application stand out. It really does, especially if you want to get in UCLA OR UCSF. You won't have difficulty with other schools without research, but if you want to get in the top schools, researh is a very important factor. Get yourself in a research project as soon as you can. You still have a year left for applying.

No, I did research in undergrad and no one asked me about it at my interviews.

No, I did research in undergrad and no one asked me about it at my interviews.

did you interview at any of the ivies or UCLA/UCSF?
WHat types of things did you talk about if not researhc?