is research really important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marina1285

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have shadowing exp and by the time I apply I will have worked as a dental assistant for 2 years, I also volunteer at a hospital 10 hours a week so I will have a good deal of hours by next year. I haven't taken the DAT's yet but my GPA/SCI GPA: 3.64/3.57 and I still have a year to raise it. Do I really have to do research, I really just do not have the time or the interest.

Members don't see this ad.

I think research is really important if you lack in other areas on your app.

I have shadowing exp and by the time I apply I will have worked as a dental assistant for 2 years, I also volunteer at a hospital 10 hours a week so I will have a good deal of hours by next year. I haven't taken the DAT's yet but my GPA/SCI GPA: 3.64/3.57 and I still have a year to raise it. Do I really have to do research, I really just do not have the time or the interest.

if you're not interested in it then don't do it; that's a waste of time..you have other things to talk about on your application.....
-ld

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical experience is much more important that research work. Also, if you are going to do research work, make sure it is something that you will actually get to be a part of. Washing petri dishes is not research. Then if you do real research, make sure you know your stuff, because I have heard horror stories of applicants getting ripped apart at their interview because they claimed they actually knew what they were researching.

invest your time in working at a dental office and get that experience. during interviews i seems that aspect was brought up much more than research ever was. it's not like med school where everyone has already done research. sure it can't hurt, and it will give you something extra, but i feel the clinical exposure was far more important

I kinda doubt that research is something that the majority of applicants do. I don't know a single person applying to dental school who has done research. If you enjoy research, then do it because you enjoy it and want to learn something. Choose to be informed about the schools that favor research, and just don't apply to them . . . if you're that worried about it.

Thanks for your input, I feel a lot better. Most of my friends are going to med school and all I hear is research research research all day all the time. I'm glad its not something that is ABSOLUTELY nessesary.

i agree
i did research for a year and none of schools really cared

Thanks for your input, I feel a lot better. Most of my friends are going to med school and all I hear is research research research all day all the time. I'm glad its not something that is ABSOLUTELY nessesary.

Yeah maybe during my interviews, schools didn't ask me about research. Yeah its not that important, but not really.

Research is an essential aspect to SCIENCE, applicants should have a taste of real science before getting applying to get a degree in Dental SCIENCE. Research is good for you, it is enriching/stimulating intellectualy, acedemicaly and personaly. You can only learn so much in a classroom, right?

Seriously research is important and should not be written off. Research is essential to the proffesion of dentistry. There are dental schools that take research very seriously, and applicants should be exposed to all aspects of dental science, clinical and acedemic.

Whats better 200 hrs of shadowing or 200 hrs of (intelectualy stimulating) research????

Shadowing is important for exposure to the field of dentistry.
Research is important as a developing scientist.

Having done research shows you're better-rounded, self-motivated and interested in science. Imagine you're an NBA team drafting a basketball player. Someone who is an excellent shooter, ball handler and is fast is a great pickup. If he is also an awesome rebounder than he's even stronger a pickup.

So, you don't need it but it looks great and makes you a better applicant; it sets you apart from those who didn't bother or didn't care.

i agree
i did research for a year and none of schools really cared

i did research for 3 years at ucla and recieved scholarships for it. every school i interviewed asked me about it and i think it helped. it might not help a ton but it will definitely help you if you want to do research while you're in dental school (which is important for specializing and/or making some money during the summer).

in my opinion you should stop volunteering at the hospital and do research instead. i can guarantee you're gonna get "why do you want to be a dentist instead of a doctor" a billion times during your interviews when they see you work at a hospital.

I did a year of research, with a publication and multiple presentations and it was never once brought up at interview :(

I hope that doesn't happen to me. I would have brought it up if they didn't.

Members don't see this ad :)

why not? do whatever to make yourself more competitive than other applicants.

If you're not interested in research, don't do it. It's going to show. Also, jumping into a lab at the last minute suggests that you're doing it just for the sake of having it on your resume. If you DO do research, it's better to have a sustained experience and have the opportunity to present your project and stay long enough to maybe even get your name on a publication; but you have to enjoy doing it.

I have had 3 years of research experience and a little clinical shadowing time, but I'm applying for a DDS and a PhD so for me the research was pretty much something I HAD to have and it far outweighed the fact that I didn't have as much shadowing time as other applicants. If you're applying only for a DDS (DMD) and given your situation I would just add more shadowing time. I think for you it's better to have an extended shadowing experience with one or two dentists than to do the research. Hope this helps.

Skeet in a petri dish, stain it, and look at it through a microscope.

I think it depends what schools you are interested in attending. Some schools are more into the clinical aspects dentistry, while others are more into research. The clinical ones will be looking for "clinical" experience while the research ones for some sort of research, obviously. My advice is to look into the schools you're interested and go from there. On a personal note, I didn't have any research experience and still got accepted to the two schools I applied to. I did, however, have 1 and 1/2 years of dental assisting experience and applied to more "clinical" schools.

This depends on the school. I had some schools who requested to send in my publications with their secondary application. At these schools, I was asked about my research during my interviews. Obviously, this was at the research intensive schools. When I interviewed at the big clinical schools, they could care less that I did research. So if you have no research, choose wisely what schools you apply to.

I forgot to add that I think it is more important than shadowing. Everybody shadows a dentist. And for the most part, you don't actually do anything. Because of strict laws, all we do is just sit there and "get exposure" to the field. Honestly, I didn't really learn much from shadowing. But in research, you are actively participating. Sure, some labs will have you streak plates and that is all, but I have been in labs where I was allowed to pursue independent projects. So in my opinion, a school may require shadowing hours, but they are not impressed by that because almost 100% of their applicants have shadowed. On the other hand, they will be impressed with research because maybe 15% of their applicants have done that.

I forgot to add that I think it is more important than shadowing. Everybody shadows a dentist. And for the most part, you don't actually do anything. Because of strict laws, all we do is just sit there and "get exposure" to the field. Honestly, I didn't really learn much from shadowing. But in research, you are actively participating. Sure, some labs will have you streak plates and that is all, but I have been in labs where I was allowed to pursue independent projects. So in my opinion, a school may require shadowing hours, but they are not impressed by that because almost 100% of their applicants have shadowed. On the other hand, they will be impressed with research because maybe 15% of their applicants have done that.

Yes, yes my thoughts exxactly.

research is good for medical school application and is almost useless for dental school application
i said "almost" because some schools do some crazy research and they are interested in students with research background

What are all the research dental schools then?

Research can be useful during the interview, because at the very worst, it gives you ~ 10 seconds worth of ammo to show that you have a basic interest in science.

Moreso than this ammo, are the people you meet. It can allow you to "advance scout" the profession. If you choose to do research at a dental school and are well received after a short time, it's likely that you'll get a letter of recommendation from your research advisor, who may also double as a dental school professor/adcom member. She/he may provide you with great advice/direction with your application, school selection, interview advice, and the occasional phone call on your behalf...

Plenty of intangibles other than having another few lines added to your EC's. If you have the spare time in your senior year and have already logged in your shadowing hours, I'd say go for it.

What are all the research dental schools then?

Top of my head:

UCSF
Michigan
Harvard
Columbia
Penn
UCLA

Remember, research goes on at every dental school, some just put more emphasis on it.

I can't remember which, but some of these schools requested to see my research publications/posters as part of my application.

research is good for medical school application and is almost useless for dental school application
i said "almost" because some schools do some crazy research and they are interested in students with research background

you guys are ******ed

how do you think faculty get tenured? they do research. i guess this might apply moreso to public schools but seriously, its not useless

research makes you a better applicant period, if you can talk about your research in a proficient manner they will be impressed with you.

saying its useless because you didn't do it isn't great advice

you guys are ******ed

how do you think faculty get tenured? they do research. i guess this might apply moreso to public schools but seriously, its not useless

research makes you a better applicant period, if you can talk about your research in a proficient manner they will be impressed with you.

saying its useless because you didn't do it isn't great advice

This is what the person you quoted as a "******" may have meant -
some schools may not even bother commenting or asking what you did in research during an interview - this heavily depends on the school and person assigned to interview you. One might decide to discuss it in some fashion to sell yourself, but the interviewer also might not care. This was the case for a few of my interviews.

I'd also wager that working as an investment banker prior to applying would make your application more palatable, but then again, it's also not a requisite.

I think it depends what schools you are interested in attending. Some schools are more into the clinical aspects dentistry, while others are more into research. The clinical ones will be looking for "clinical" experience while the research ones for some sort of research, obviously. My advice is to look into the schools you're interested and go from there. On a personal note, I didn't have any research experience and still got accepted to the two schools I applied to. I did, however, have 1 and 1/2 years of dental assisting experience and applied to more "clinical" schools.

Thank you for your insight, may I ask what schools you applied to, how do I go about figuring out which schools are more clinical and which are research oriented? My absolute top school is UMDNJ I haven't thought about other ones yet I've slowely been doing research but I'm still in love with UMDNJ, any advice as to which schools I should look into? Thanks so much!

This is what the person you quoted as a "******" may have meant -
some schools may not even bother commenting or asking what you did in research during an interview - this heavily depends on the school and person assigned to interview you. One might decide to discuss it in some fashion to sell yourself, but the interviewer also might not care. This was the case for a few of my interviews.

I'd also wager that working as an investment banker prior to applying would make your application more palatable, but then again, it's also not a requisite.

not that i'm trying to get into a pissing match because i understand your point of view, but i-banking has absolutely nothing to do with dentistry. the only thing that it says about you is that are capable of working hard.

research is the foundation for everything that is done in the dental clinic. research is performed on the materials, the microbiology, etc etc. Understanding research and being able to read journals will greatly affect what kind of dentist you will be, but how well you invest the large sums of money you make will not affect your dentistry career, just your personal life.

The reason not everyone asks about it is because a lot of people who do research arn't very into it and its easy for someone to tell the quality of work/how much the person actually knows about it very easily. I'm not saying this happened in your case (because once again, i'm not trying to get into a pissing match) but saying that research isn't helpful is just plain incorrect.

You're right, research isn't necessary, but it is extremely helpful and I would encourage any predent to take advantage of their opportunity to do research while still in undergrad. Many of my teachers in removeable and operative are on the admissions committee and i can tell you what each of them are doing for their research. If you want i can ask them if they think research is important for predents and ill let u know what they say

not that i'm trying to get into a pissing match because i understand your point of view, but i-banking has absolutely nothing to do with dentistry. the only thing that it says about you is that are capable of working hard.

research is the foundation for everything that is done in the dental clinic. research is performed on the materials, the microbiology, etc etc. Understanding research and being able to read journals will greatly affect what kind of dentist you will be, but how well you invest the large sums of money you make will not affect your dentistry career, just your personal life.

The reason not everyone asks about it is because a lot of people who do research arn't very into it and its easy for someone to tell the quality of work/how much the person actually knows about it very easily. I'm not saying this happened in your case (because once again, i'm not trying to get into a pissing match) but saying that research isn't helpful is just plain incorrect.

You're right, research isn't necessary, but it is extremely helpful and I would encourage any predent to take advantage of their opportunity to do research while still in undergrad. Many of my teachers in removeable and operative are on the admissions committee and i can tell you what each of them are doing for their research. If you want i can ask them if they think research is important for predents and ill let u know what they say

Don't sweat it - no pissing match here. Regarding the i-banking comment and dentistry, I'll respectfully disagree. Business aptitude is the larger half of success in any dental practice. And with a strong aptitude comes success, and schools would seldom shy away from potentially deep pocketed alumni.

Research might be important to the foundation of dentistry, but to the practicing clinician and professors that I've spoken to, it's far removed from view. Efficient journal reading can by anyone who has taken an upper level biology course, and had to sift through them for thesis work and etc. Performing actual benchtop or clinical research, won't improve that skill much.

Sorry to quote you again below :

how well you invest the large sums of money you make will not affect your dentistry career, just your personal life

My uncle has very much retired from the 5 day practice routine, due in large part to wise, long term investments. His dental career, has also transformed a bit. He now teaches BMS I and clinic part time, spends a day and half per week at his practice, makes random usless pieces of furniture in his garage the rest of the time - and he's loving his career more than ever. If my family is a proper indication, over time, career paths will change slightly, and investments allow for a broader range of options.

Thank you for your insight, may I ask what schools you applied to, how do I go about figuring out which schools are more clinical and which are research oriented? My absolute top school is UMDNJ I haven't thought about other ones yet I've slowely been doing research but I'm still in love with UMDNJ, any advice as to which schools I should look into? Thanks so much!

Well I pretty much got lucky because my top choice was NOVA and they turned out to be a "clinical" school. I didn't even know there was such a thing as "research" schools and "clinical" schools. Sadly enough I found out during my interview at Nova. The other school I applied to was NYU, and they seemed big on clinical work too. My advice would be to visit the school's websites and go from there. Best of luck!