Is research required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklasers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always liked math/physics and love the thought of being able to incorporate that into my medical profession.

But, I do not have a strong research background. Have a great step 1, have good clinical grades thus far, junior aoa, etc.

My school has a third year selective in rad onc, so I will also take that.

But are multiple publications pretty much required to gain entry into the field?

Members don't see this ad.

Multiple pubs no, but research yes. The issue is that most everyone will have what you have. Research is key.

Sent from my SGH-i777 using Tapatalk 4

Don't worry about it. Research is a requirement but many of us were right where you are now and matched well in to the field. Just try to get involved early (it will make your life easier later) but don't sweat it too much right this minute.

Also keep in mind if you are a basic scientist clinical projects can move much faster than basic science projects. You can get more done than you may think with the time you have. I'd bet most people were where you are now and it worked out.