Is SGU or Ross #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mz.MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I've been doing a lot of research on SGU and Ross. I've attended a few open houses, read up on them online, and in these forums.

I've heard good things about both of them. But, overall it seems that SGU is ranked #1 and Ross #2.

Does anyone know why SGU is #1 (other than the better lifestyle in Grenada than Dominica)?

Do they differ in terms of the quality of education and getting a residency?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Mz.MD said:
Hi everyone:

I've been doing a lot of research on SGU and Ross. I've attended a few open houses, read up on them online, and in these forums.

I've heard good things about both of them. But, overall it seems that SGU is ranked #1 and Ross #2.

Does anyone know why SGU is #1 (other than the better lifestyle in Grenada than Dominica)?

Thanks!

It would be like asking whether Hopkins or Harvard is #1.
Some will say Hopkins.
Others will say Harvard.
Others don't care.
What about AUC and St Matt's and St Eustatins?

Quality of 3rd and 4th year rotations and longer history of a high board pass rate and low attrition rate is what I have heard.

Also when you say you went to med school in Grenada lots of people will know of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Id say SGU for there clinical rotations
then Ross

the rest are no where close.

It is akin to asking which turd pile smells the best. You can rationalize all you want but SGU/Ross/AUC/Saba all allow for you to practice in all 50* and have all ACGME accredited rotations if you work at it and the rest depends on your USMLE scores.

The only advantage one school has over the other shifts every year depending on which school alumni are willing to help you at a certain potential residency spot.

If it makes you feel better at night to rank them then SGU has more student support and Ross has less time in the Caribbean and AUC has the best island and smaller classes.

*Due to Saba's relatively short existence a couple states' laws requiring 15 years of existence for med schools would be a hurdle unless tackled by license reciprocity.

It comes down to personal preference.
For example, SGU better living conditions (not great), Ross no distractions.
Cost may be a consideration.

From what I heard, and based on residency placement, there is no difference in the education received. Med school is all about individual learning and determination, the school only provides you with path to follow, specially since there are no restrictions in state licensing boards.

SGU is well known, but how much of it is based on the military action, and not he school itself?

I chose Ross, and will be starting in May

Mz.MD said:
Hi everyone:

Thanks!
i need to preface this post by saying that i spent a semester at sgu as an "audit" student, presumably because i was a weak applicant. after experiencing less than equal treatment resulting in my leaving after 1 semester, i applied to and was accepted to ross (without conditions). at ross, i never failed, in fact i graduated on time with a 3.2. since i have experienced both schools, i can say sgu was prettier, but i haven't seen ross in a while, and people who are there now have said ross is building tremendously, adding to infrastructure and looks great. sgu was slammed by ivan recently, but has cleaned up. i noticed a culture of conceit at sgu among many students and faculty, and found it impossible to meet with staff when i needed help most. i had none of these problems at ross. at sgu i was forced to live on the grand anse campus, as a first semester male (many females and some luckier male students get to live at "true blue" which is newer and nicer, but cramped). grand anse is a dilapidated ex-marriott hotel which floods at high tide and doesn't have hot water. for this i paid $1000 per month, split with my roomate. at ross, i was able to find a place in town for $200. ross didn't require first semester students to rent housing from the school. st georges tuition was considerably higher than ross, in addition to the cost of living differences. i found teaching to be very adequate at both locations, generally speaking. at sgu, the anatomy professor openly flirted with and dated female students. the biochem dept at sgu was strong. the biochem dept at ross is excellent and is chaired by dr meisenberg, who is brilliant. pharm and anatomy were also well taught, and the facilities in the anatomy lab are superb, including closed circuit tv dissection lessons. in the end, i obviously prefer ross, but both schools will get you your degree.

Mz.MD said:
Hi everyone:

Thanks!

I was accepted to both. I chose Ross, because it was much cheaper and less time is spent out of the USA.

Shah_Patel_PT said:
I was accepted to both. I chose Ross, because it was much cheaper and less time is spent out of the USA.

by less time don't you just mean one semester?

sharp said:
by less time don't you just mean one semester?

16 months vs 24 months