Is Step 2 necessary for FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigindian4891

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My practice scores are kind of borderline for Step 2, and I am not sure I can do well on it come next week. I am a DO student, and got a Step 1 of 219 and similar on my Comlex. I am mostly interested in the Ohio/Illinois/Michigan area, which I know is DO friendly.

Should I go ahead and take Step 2, or will I be fine applying in these areas with Step 1 and Comlex 2?

Members don't see this ad.

My practice scores are kind of borderline for Step 2, and I am not sure I can do well on it come next week. I am a DO student, and got a Step 1 of 219 and similar on my Comlex. I am mostly interested in the Ohio/Illinois/Michigan area, which I know is DO friendly.

Should I go ahead and take Step 2, or will I be fine applying in these areas with Step 1 and Comlex 2?

No, you don't need it at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply to residency with only step I, but you will need to take it eventually to be board certified. Some states like Texas and Oregon require it before you can get licensed and can only have so many retakes.

You can apply to residency with only step I, but you will need to take it eventually to be board certified. Some states like Texas and Oregon require it before you can get licensed and can only have so many retakes.
They require Step 2 for DOs?

Do NOT take it if you're borderline. I think you should match fine with only Step 1 and COMLEX unless your goal is a top academic program

Not true. You can get licensed with taking just COMLEX

Reactions: 1 user
DO NOT TAKE IT.

Who are advising these DO students? This is borderline criminal.

COMLEX is called the level. The question was about taking USMLE step vs just staying with the COMLEX level

What are your practice test scores? Be easier to help if you explain what is borderline
225 on UW1, 72% on New Free 120. I did not feel comfortable in either of those, and felt like it couldve gone worse if a few of my guesses were wrong.

I ended up canceling my Step 2. Thank you all for the advice, I talked to a few programs I was interested in and they said the same thing, Step 2 wont be looked at as closely as other years because of the pandemic. I think I would really regret more if I took it and did worse, rather than not have taken it at all. I understand I wouldve taken it for other specialties, but if FM doesnt really need it, Im not going to take the risk of doing worse. Thank you all for the input.

'
Isn't that splitting hairs? COMLEX has Step I,II, III. You still have to take them all. I didn't realize the OP was talking about USMLE. I never took USMLE and my career is just fine.

The OP explains it. They ask if they need to take Step 2 or will just the Comlex level 1 and 2 suffice. Step 2 refers to usmle.

OP, as most people have said you do not need to take step 2.

'
Isn't that splitting hairs? COMLEX has Step I,II, III. You still have to take them all. I didn't realize the OP was talking about USMLE. I never took USMLE and my career is just fine.
But you ONLY make 400k/yr :p

225 on UW1, 72% on New Free 120. I did not feel comfortable in either of those, and felt like it couldve gone worse if a few of my guesses were wrong.

I ended up canceling my Step 2. Thank you all for the advice, I talked to a few programs I was interested in and they said the same thing, Step 2 wont be looked at as closely as other years because of the pandemic. I think I would really regret more if I took it and did worse, rather than not have taken it at all. I understand I wouldve taken it for other specialties, but if FM doesnt really need it, Im not going to take the risk of doing worse. Thank you all for the input.

You made the right choice. 225 on a UW assessment (unless things have significantly changed) could mean a real-life score of closer to 215, which on Step 2 is too close to failing (209) in my opinion. It won't hurt you at all. Good luck on the season