-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is the brain perfect?
Started by adimpleo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
X-ray vision. ESP. Perfect memory recall.
If it were my job to redesign the brain I would try to defer the task to someone smarter than I, or you, or anyone else on this planet. If I couldn't get anyone else to bite, then I would leave it as is. At least in its current form it has millions of years of evolution on its side.
Anyone who thinks they know a better way of running the most complicated thing in the known universe has a serious case of hubris.
Sorry to give you the Debbie-downer response. I suppose that if I could be turned into the gigantic brain from Futurama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Stupid) that would be acceptable.
Anyone who thinks they know a better way of running the most complicated thing in the known universe has a serious case of hubris.
Sorry to give you the Debbie-downer response. I suppose that if I could be turned into the gigantic brain from Futurama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Stupid) that would be acceptable.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know about other peoples', but MY brain is perfect. 😎
C
ClinPsycMasters
No, I wouldn't. We know so little about the brain to even consider that. Let's focus on fixing Toyota for the time being. 😉
But I so would love to rename all the brain structures, starting with substantia innominata.
But I so would love to rename all the brain structures, starting with substantia innominata.
I think better effort would be spent on redesigning the spine - I'm not a big fan, though I'm not exactly sure what design would be better.
Word. If I every have a chance, I will ask God WTF was he thinking with the whole bipedal spinal thing.
There's a similar thread running in the OB/GYN forum that's WAY more interesting.
Are you calling us boring?

P
PhiPhenomenon
If you were redesigning the brain today, would you leave it as is? If not, what changes would you make?
You are seriously asking whether an organ which would make us believe that anti-freeze is a delicious potable is perfect?
As to what should change I'd say that's up to natural selection to decide again and again and again.
I would make it a little more durable, since as it stands it's pretty squishy.
Word. If I every have a chance, I will ask God WTF was he thinking with the whole bipedal spinal thing.
Seriously...I Am Not Making This Up (as Dave Barry would say): part of me losing my job was saying to a patient, in the buckle of the Bible Belt, that I really don't think man was meant to walk upright.
X-ray vision. ESP. Perfect memory recall.
You don't want perfect memory recall. Consider the disadvantages of having it. This would require something like working memory systems to be completely overlapping with long-term memory systems. If this were the case, your brain would need to wade through all the information that you had ever learned throughout your life span every time you needed to recall one bit of information. This is horribly inefficient. Also, it would really take a toll on your other cognitive systems, namely social cognition. This is why individuals with extraordinary recall abilities tend to be lacking in other areas. There's a reason why we can't do all of these things at once at the level of the brain.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would make the following changes:
1) Vascular collaterals would be more consistent and complete such that single vessel emboli/thromboses would be unlikely to cause infarcts.
2) I would incorporate greater ability to recruit pluripotent stem cells to regain lost neurological functions.
3) Important functions likely language, memory, and spatial representation would have bilateral representation.
4) Genetic predispositions to selfishness, chauvinism, violence, and sexual aggression would be eliminated.
5) the brain would be overall larger and have greater processing power. The average human IQ would be the equivalent of modern day supergenius level.
6) the senses of taste and smell would be greatly enhanced
7) The brain would have built in mechanisms to suppress hyperactive neurons
1) Vascular collaterals would be more consistent and complete such that single vessel emboli/thromboses would be unlikely to cause infarcts.
2) I would incorporate greater ability to recruit pluripotent stem cells to regain lost neurological functions.
3) Important functions likely language, memory, and spatial representation would have bilateral representation.
4) Genetic predispositions to selfishness, chauvinism, violence, and sexual aggression would be eliminated.
5) the brain would be overall larger and have greater processing power. The average human IQ would be the equivalent of modern day supergenius level.
6) the senses of taste and smell would be greatly enhanced
7) The brain would have built in mechanisms to suppress hyperactive neurons
You don't want perfect memory recall. Consider the disadvantages of having it. This would require something like working memory systems to be completely overlapping with long-term memory systems. If this were the case, your brain would need to wade through all the information that you had ever learned throughout your life span every time you needed to recall one bit of information. This is horribly inefficient. Also, it would really take a toll on your other cognitive systems, namely social cognition. This is why individuals with extraordinary recall abilities tend to be lacking in other areas. There's a reason why we can't do all of these things at once at the level of the brain.
I can't believe you put this much thought into a response to my contention that I would like x-ray vision and perfect memory.
I retract my earlier statement. I would like x-ray vision, perfect memory and cognitive processing abilities capable of using it without lacking in other areas.
2) I would incorporate greater ability to recruit pluripotent stem cells to regain lost neurological functions.
This would be towards the top of my list if there was a perfectly safe way to regulate it. Seems like some players hang around in the SVZ of the lateral ventrical but usually only turn into A cells to be olfactory neurons and C cells to be oligodendrocyte precursors. If a pluripotent population could move to site of injury and regenerate that would be pretty nice. Then again as we are its probably the multipotent cells that we have now that go haywire and lead to GBMs. Double edged sword.
This would be towards the top of my list if there was a perfectly safe way to regulate it. Seems like some players hang around in the SVZ of the lateral ventrical but usually only turn into A cells to be olfactory neurons and C cells to be oligodendrocyte precursors. If a pluripotent population could move to site of injury and regenerate that would be pretty nice. Then again as we are its probably the multipotent cells that we have now that go haywire and lead to GBMs. Double edged sword.
Which reminds me...there should be some backup pathways built in which cause malignant cells to undergo apoptosis.
Did I mention that I'm running for God in 2012?
Can we just close this thread please.
There is no information and it is not fun either.
There is no information and it is not fun either.
I'd rather just let it die rather than kill it. I agree that it is more of a "pre-allo" thread, but technically it is on-topic.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 93