Is the DAT not required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinker77

Custom Title Goes Here
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The DAT is one of the few standards that you can objectively compare all students without trying to weigh GPA, extra curricular activities, etc.

So, yes, the DAT is required for all schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's required, but it's really not too bad. Some of my Pharm friends had it really easy because as CA residents they didn't need to take the PCAT to get into Pharm school back home in CA.

As far as I know, every school requires the DAT. I don't know about early-assurance programs or anything of that sort, but you're going to need to take it regardless of your circumstances. The good news is...it's a test that you can study for and do well, provided that you have the best study materials. SDN has a great DAT Forum - it's to your advantage to use it. People there are very friendly and helpful!

Last edited:
Hey Tinker (dota right?)

Every USA dental schools requires the DAT. Even those special undergrad-linkage programs that guarntee you a seat in thier dental school so long as you keep your GPA at 3.5 or higher, even they require it (I think they want to see minimum of 18 AA)

and yes SDN = student doctor network

It might be waived if you had some serious qualifications like a Ph.D.

It might be waived if you had some serious qualifications like a Ph.D.

Really? You think so?

Even if one had an MD, I think they'd need to take the DAT for formality sake, even if they got just a score of 10. :rolleyes:

Wait....Correct me if I'm wrong but a bachelor's degree is not a requirement for Dental school? Or some do and some schools dont?

I was looking through my ADEA book yesterday...and it's a "soft" requirement. very few people without degrees get in (90 hours+). there's some schools that actually require a bachelor's though - but i can't remember if that's the majority.

my good friend got in without a bachelors... but had a 3.65 and 19/19/19... rejected from the other 14 schools without interview. its possible, but NEVER recommended.

my good friend got in without a bachelors... but had a 3.65 and 19/19/19... rejected from the other 14 schools without interview. its possible, but NEVER recommended.

YOU mind your own business!!!!

hhahahaha ;)

I'm thinking of applying to dental school. So my question, is there any Dental schools in the US that does not require taking the DAT?

Wait....Correct me if I'm wrong but a bachelor's degree is not a requirement for Dental school? Or some do and some schools dont?

there's no such thing as a shortcut into dental school, stop lookin ;)