Is the debt manageable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

livestockdream

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did you decide to go to vet school?

I would LOVE to be a food animal/large animal veterinarian. I have worked with horses, cows and sheep before and I am drawn to being a veterinarian. The problem is that information regarding salaries often contradicts and the cost of vet school is very high. I am a single mother and I know I can do the academic part but I am not sure I can afford it. I know there are loan forgiveness programs but I have heard stories where they were unable to find a job. I do not plan on getting rich but I need enough to pay off loans and support my son.


More info- I'm looking at UMN which I would first get my residency so that would be 36k a year (144k) in addition to my undergrad debt leaves me with around 200k debt. I am eligible for FASFA and I know I can live for free if I am enrolled in vet school.
 
Last edited:
How did you decide to go to vet school?

I would LOVE to be a food animal/large animal veterinarian. I have worked with horses, cows and sheep before and I am drawn to being a veterinarian. The problem is that information regarding salaries often contradicts and the cost of vet school is very high. I am a single mother and I know I can do the academic part but I am not sure I can afford it. I know there are loan forgiveness programs but I have heard stories where they were unable to find a job. I do not plan on getting rich but I need enough to pay off loans and support my son.


More info- I'm looking at UMN which I would first get my residency so that would be 36k a year (144k) in addition to my undergrad debt leaves me with around 200k debt. I am eligible for FASFA and I know I can live for free if I am enrolled in vet school.

Have you spent time shadowing a food animal vet? It's one thing to like being around horses and cows, but actually seeing what LA/FA vets do might affect whether you really want to make a career out of it. Just something to think about!

As for the debt load, I would check out the thread on here about the recent NYT article regarding the abysmal debt-to-income ratio for vets and the mounting prices of tuition/competition for jobs. The economy is not exactly in favor of vets at the moment, unfortunately 🙁

Ultimately, only you can decide whether the debt, and risk, are worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide 🙂