Is the ECE evaluation GPA a big factor for selection in graduate programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lassy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am a foreign trained dentist applicant to the ADEA pass postgraduate Cycle.
Hence I was required to submit a ECE/WES evaluation, and chose ECE because it was easier to send the documents to and more widely accepted by all the universities I am applying to.

I would hate to have wasted so much time, money and efforts, and not be taken because the gpa of my ECE evaluation is low.
I tried to “debate” with the evaluator via email, but he stand firm on his evaluation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure how the grade scale works here in the U.S. or other parts of the world, but I see a lot of people with GPA’s higher than 3.5. Keep in mind GPA goes from 0 to 4, with that being said, to see so many students with GPA’s above 3.5 the only thing that comes to mind is one of the 2, this people are really smart, or the program this people attend are really easy. Speaking from where I come from, to get into a dental school there’s no interview, there’s a general exam that you’ll take at the same day and time as everybody else who’s trying to get those 100 spots for dental school. Whoever get those first 100 scores they are in. Usually the competition rate for every spot is around 1/60. In some schools can come to around 1/300. The highest GPA from my school was a 9.1. Grade scale goes from 0 - 10. And let me tell you I personally know the guy who got 9.1, he was my teacher and that guy was pure brain. Most people will graduate with something in between 6.5 - 8ish. There’s barely any multiple choice questions, if you have any grammar error they’ll deduct points from your exam, if you don’t write things like they want you won’t get a full point, so most people won’t be getting 9’s and 10’s. So I know exactly what you’re saying. A 2.9 from where I come from would be a great score. I’m not trying to downgrade nobodies hard work, if you have a high GPA congratulation, you earned, but depending where you go to school, I just can’t imagine anybody getting a 3.9 and 3.8 GPA, and that doesn’t mean they’re a bad students, that’s just the way the school works. Another thing that gets me thinking is the amount of people that say they have those high GPA’s but are taking $3000 - $4000 bench test preparation courses on how to make a class II restoration, and prepare a tooth for a fixed prosthodontics. ‍♂️

Reactions: 1 user
Arguing with an official agency call center people is not smart - they don't establish standards. The process of converting grades from different countries was created and in order to point out to it's shortcomings you may write to heads of those agencies
Try to have another assessment done by another agency to see, if there is a better result
The best solution for you would be to write about it in your personal statement, it might have effect.
Frankly, 7/10 is 70% in this country is barely a C
Most people in dental schools are super smart

Hi guys,
I am a foreign trained dentist applicant to the ADEA pass postgraduate Cycle.
Hence I was required to submit a ECE/WES evaluation, and chose ECE because it was easier to send the documents to and more widely accepted by all the universities I am applying to.
In the country I graduated in, I have a pretty good average grade, which would be equivalent to a 3.3-3.5 gpa (from scholaro), and grades are really not inflated in my country. (If you have a 7/10 it is already considered super good)
However the ECE evaluation is pretty harsh. They converted each of my individual grades into A, B and C (not + or minus), so I ended up with a lot of Bs (even though I had a ton of grades such as 8.9/10, and in order to get an A for the evaluation you need a 9/10 ugh, and B grades were from 7-8.99/10) which drastically lowered my GPA. I obtained a gpa of 2.9 which sounds really bad.
Are Universities aware how badly the grades are converted and how deflated they are?
I would hate to have wasted so much time, money and efforts, and not be taken because the gpa of my ECE evaluation is low.
I have tried to debate with ECE evaluator, but he would just no budge.
Short answer, YES. It is quite obvious why.

That being said, is there anything else you can offer on your profile? Because they see the whole picture.

You can't change you GPA, but that doesn't mean that you can't improve your CV. And by the way, I am not saying to take a "master" for the sake of having an extra piece of paper or anything like that. Try to think about your profile and in which areas you can work. Good luck.