is the grass greener

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nafcillin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping for some optometry folks to stumble into the pre forum. I'm a pharmacist looking into possibly going back to school to be an optometrist. I'm not sure, however, and I wonder if it's everything I dreamed of. I want to apply all the skills I have as a pharmacist with my interest in the eye and see what happens.

I'm scared to embark on such a life-changing thing. Anyone else done this?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you spend some time shadowing several optometry practices; perhaps you'll thus gain a better sense of whether you wish to pursue the profession.

Hoping for some optometry folks to stumble into the pre forum. I'm a pharmacist looking into possibly going back to school to be an optometrist. I'm not sure, however, and I wonder if it's everything I dreamed of. I want to apply all the skills I have as a pharmacist with my interest in the eye and see what happens.

It all depends on your age and where you are in your life. If you have a family , then i suggest you stick with pharmacy and enjoy the benefits of a well paying job.
If you dont and you think you need to do something more challenging and will not be sacrificing time with family, the go for OD school!

Optometry school is a lot of hard work as I can tell you from my family members being in it. And there is only about 4 semesters of Pharmacology, so you will be losing a lot of what you have already done and paid for. You will be racking up a lot of additional loans with OD school as well (avg 89,000)

I have to warn you though, an OD doesn't do as well as PharmD's do at least for the first couple of years. But as you may know..OD's can increase their salaries depending on mode of practice, while PharmD's tend to plateau at some point.

Just my suggestions...good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm curious why you want to switch to optometry. Both professions have about the same income potential and you'll be spending another 4 years and thousands of dollars on optometry school when you've already done that for pharmacy. Why are you averse to pharmacy?

What skills do you have as a pharmacist that you think would help you as an optometrist?