Is the major histocompatibility complex part of the glycocalyx?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the glycocalyx has glycoproteins (such as recognition proteins) according to the notes. Would the major histocompatability complex be part of the glycocalyx or like on top of it or something, since it is a collection of glycoprotein that exists on membranes of the body cells?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished microbio this semester and as I read over cliff notes 3rd I come across:
  1. "Theglycocalyx isa carbohydrate coat that covers theouterfaceofthecell wallof somebacteriaa nd theouterface of the plasma membrane of certain animal cells. It consists of various oligosaccharides that are attached to mem- brane phospholipids (glycolipids) and proteins (such as the glycoproteins of recognition proteins). Depending upon the cell, it may provide adhesive capabilities, a barrier to infection, or markers for cell-cell recognition. "

I would assume the MHC is attached onto the top of the glycocalyx

I know that the glycocalyx has glycoproteins (such as recognition proteins) according to the notes. Would the major histocompatability complex be part of the glycocalyx or like on top of it or something, since it is a collection of glycoprotein that exists on membranes of the body cells?

Glycocalyx is a general term that may contain MHC. However, you should not think of them together. MHC refers to antigen recognition, where glycocalyx can also play a role in cell adhesion.
There are 2 MHC types:
MHC type 1 is present on all cells.
MHC type 2 is present on all nucleated cells.

cleardot.gif