is the March MCAT too late to apply for post bac programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if taking the MCAT in march is too late to apply to special masters programs..so far I have seen the application deadlines to range from April-July. So I should be fine taking the MCAT in March right? The score would be released by April 24. Is that too late?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if taking the MCAT in march is too late to apply to special masters programs..so far I have seen the application deadlines to range from April-July. So I should be fine taking the MCAT in March right? The score would be released by April 24. Is that too late?

No, it's not too late. Most deadlines are in June- but the earlier, the better.

Depends on the program. EVMS, Cinn, Gtown will have full classes by April, and you'd be trying to get a waitlist spot then. Which could work out. Each SMP "loses" a pile of acceptances when those folks get a late MD/DO acceptance. There's a big changeup after May 15, which is when folks who have more than one MD acceptance have to decline all but one. (Such problems I wish I'd had.)

Take a look at the SMP-specific threads in this forum, basically live theatre, where everybody's losing their minds over who is getting in with what stats by submitting how early. Multiply that traffic by about 100, and that's the app pool activity. You can see what happened in previous years at programs you're interested in.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the program. EVMS, Cinn, Gtown will have full classes by April, and you'd be trying to get a waitlist spot then. Which could work out. Each SMP "loses" a pile of acceptances when those folks get a late MD/DO acceptance. There's a big changeup after May 15, which is when folks who have more than one MD acceptance have to decline all but one. (Such problems I wish I'd had.)

Take a look at the SMP-specific threads in this forum, basically live theatre, where everybody's losing their minds over who is getting in with what stats by submitting how early. Multiply that traffic by about 100, and that's the app pool activity. You can see what happened in previous years at programs you're interested in.

Best of luck to you.

Cincinnati told me that they save some spots for later applicants. I don't know about the other ones, of course, but they seem to want late applicants as well.

Live theatre? I prefer my obsessing to be called prudent neurosis.

Darn my tone-deafness and inability to play anything more complicated than a triangle.

Oh, but if you can play a triangle you can play a cowbell. That's an 80's cover band waiting to happen.

Oh, but if you can play a triangle you can play a cowbell. That's an 80's cover band waiting to happen.

Uhm... you are aware that I was born in the mid-90's, right? I am not the right candidate for anything hailing from the 80's.

Uhm... you are aware that I was born in the mid-90's, right? I am not the right candidate for anything hailing from the 80's.

Obviously, because you were not taught to respect your elders :laugh:

Obviously, because you were not taught to respect your elders :laugh:

I respect those who earn it. And since almost everyone is older than I am, that's a good policy. Universal respect is exhausting!

My mcat is on jan 27. I don't feel that prepared. I dont think ill improve much i the next two weeks. Should I postpone it till march? Am I hurting my chances by applying that late? I have 3.3 cgpa and 3.4 science gpa.

My mcat is on jan 27. I don't feel that prepared. I dont think ill improve much i the next two weeks. Should I postpone it till march? Am I hurting my chances by applying that late? I have 3.3 cgpa and 3.4 science gpa.
You'll hurt your chances more by getting a poor MCAT score.

Start looking at programs that don't require an MCAT. Apply late to the programs that require an MCAT, once you have a good score.

Best of luck to you.