Is the Physics questions on the MCAT anything like the AAMC Physics Q pack?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPenguinsGo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm getting like 50% correct on the Physics Qpack but when I took the AAMC FL2 two weeks ago I got a 129 on the section so I don't understand the disconnect. I've noticed that the questions on the AAMC FL2 asks Physics questions that, if passage based, are largely biologically relevant. If they are not biologically relevant, they are really easy discrete questions. This is very different from the Physics Q pack.

What's with the disconnect?

EDIT: Also, should I be super concerned and push back my July 7 test date?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so I'm getting like 50% correct on the Physics Qpack but when I took the AAMC FL2 two weeks ago I got a 129 on the section so I don't understand the disconnect. I've noticed that the questions on the AAMC FL2 asks Physics questions that, if passage based, are largely biologically relevant. If they are not biologically relevant, they are really easy discrete questions. This is very different from the Physics Q pack.

What's with the disconnect?

EDIT: Also, should I be super concerned and push back my July 7 test date?
A 129 on CP is solid! You have another 6 weeks till test day so you’re in good shape. The disconnect is the q pack is comprised of questions from the previous iteration of the mcat (pre-2015) which was not nearly as interdisciplinary as the current mcat. Use the q pack to find content gaps and make flash cards but don’t focus on the percentage too much. As long as your practice test scores are in good shape you shouldn’t worry much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I never used AAMC Physics QPacks. However, I found AAMC Section Banks for C/P very helpful. Their problems were harder than the AAMC FL's but felt about the same on the actual test. In fact, I found C/P section on the actual test slightly harder than the SB, since there were two synthesis problems that I didn't expect to see. For reference, I scored 80-85% correct on the C/P AAMC Section bank and got 131 on the actual test.

GreenDuck is spot on. The Qpacks are built from what used to be known as practice times, which were created and modified well before 2015. The SBs came into existence in 2015, and were made from experimental passages and questions created during the developmental period for the 2015 exam. They represent what the AAMC people thought the test was going to be starting in 2015. The FLs have been created from 2014 until last year, making them the most recent of all AAMC materials and likely the best representation of what the test has evolved into today.