is the psat like the act

ihatepants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

The PSAT is the 'preliminary' test you take before the SAT's, their formats are similar and are designed to predict how you will do on the SAT's.

The ACT has a similar test, called the PLAN, it is for high schoolers to take before the ACT so that you can determine what they need to work on, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
ok let me rephrase. I only have the ACT practice books and taking the PSAT in 10 days should I buy a SAT book?

Depends. if you want to do well on the PSATs to be considered for a scholarship or something like that then yes get an SAT book. If you are just taking it like everyone else than I wouldn't bend over backwards. The PSAT is supposed to help you see the areas you need to focus on before you take the real thing. Take it and buy as needed afterwards.

My school drove me CRAZY with these tests. I seperately took an ACT class, a practice ACT test, and the ACT. Then 7 months later the school says, "HEY! we're making all juniors take a practice ACT, a PLAN test, and we're going to waste an hour and a half of your time explaining the idiotproof directions and "how to read the scores" so even though you're almost 18, you don't have to do anything for yourself yet and we'll just hold your hand" ahhhh!

sorry for my rant but yes the PSAT is practice for the SAT. the PLAN test or practice ACT tests are available for ACT.

MOST schools accpet either and/or of the tests but make sure by going to your schools site. They both test you on general things, math, reading, english, science (actually not science, science is just hey can you read a chart)

However, I love the ACT because you can guess and not get penalized. On the SAT, you get 1/4 a point for every wrong answer. Doesn't seem like a lot but when there are 100 questions and you get 16 wrong thats 16 + (1/4)(16)= 4 so you would have 20 wrong. When you convert the scores to a larger number with more questions... thats a lot more off then what would have been. The ACT doesn't do that. :)