Is there a Caribbean school that guarantees transfer to a US one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oli84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering applying to Carib schools, but I'd like to know whether or not there is some program at any school that guarantees you transfer to a US school.

Or if that's not possible, guaranteed residency years at a US hospital. Can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, absolutly not. It is possible, though highly unlikely, for you to transfer to a US school. However, as far as I know no carib school will 'guarantee' admission or transfers to students. And residencies are not exactly guaranteed either - more a function of results you produce while in school. Did you mean guaranteed US clinical rotations?

there are only two guarantees in life and neither of your requests made it.

nor does graduating from an LCME or AOA school guarantee a US residency position. there are grads that never entered residency, some by choice, others not.

oli84 said:
I'm seriously considering applying to Carib schools, but I'd like to know whether or not there is some program at any school that guarantees you transfer to a US school.

Or if that's not possible, guaranteed residency years at a US hospital. Can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad :)
that would defy the purpose of having a med school then right? I mean if you were guaranteeing transfer then you would not have any students left to graduate from your school. I believe that in the long run it will not make any difference whatsoever where you graduated from. What residencies are looking for are top quality students, and the way they determine that is by your USMLE score, grades, rotation reviews. Therefore, if you are top notch in all the above-mentioned categories then being from a "top-3" carib school might not help you, but it will definitely not HURT your chances of getting in. So, if you decide to do it, your main concern should be to do well...b/c even if you are in a US med school and have poor grades/scores then it wont really make a big difference that you are a us grad. Just my 2 cents :)

oli84 said:

The big three (SGU, AUC, Ross) don't guarantee that you'll transfer to a US school however you only spend two years in the Carribean. The second two years of the four years of medical school are spent at U.S. hospitals in clinical rotations. And if you are a decent student and pass your board exams you are pretty much "guaranteed" a residency in the U.S.