Is there a consensus on what to put for "additional comments" or "anything else?" prompts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med16484

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some people say they always write "why us" for this while others say not to put anything that would just be fluff. How are you guys doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't this depend on the other prompts you receive from a specific school? Now, you better have additional questions when you go to an interview because many of us will expect you to have one when we ask "anything else" to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Doesn't this depend on the other prompts you receive from a specific school? Now, you better have additional questions when you go to an interview because many of us will expect you to have one when we ask "anything else" to you.
Yea of course, for example Tufts has a diversity essay, a future activities essay, and this prompt. From the previous 2019-2020 thread, it seemed like people were split on whether to write a “why us” for the prompt or leave it blank because it would be unneeded fluff. Would you consider this fluff?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tended to treat it like a miscellaneous box. If there was something particularly noteworthy or worth mentioning and it didn't just fit cleanly elsewhere, this would be the place to do it.

Some of them I filled in, some of them I left blank. It all sort of came down to did I think the rest of my application was well explained.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor

Reactions: 1 users
If there is something that you havent mentioned in either primary or elsewhere in secondary that you think would have some impact o your application, then mention it here. This is where I recommend people mention any ties to the school or area that arent noted elsewhere. But just writing something because you think you need to fill any empty box will come across just like that
It’s a good idea to mention personal ties to the geographical area?
For example, if I’m applying almost exclusively in one area that has many medical schools (tristate area) because I have a fiance in grad school here, is that something to mention there or will schools not care?

It’s a good idea to mention personal ties to the geographical area?
For example, if I’m applying almost exclusively in one area that has many medical schools (tristate area) because I have a fiance in grad school here, is that something to mention there or will schools not care?

It is the only place you can mention it and it is the only way they will know.
If you mention it it MIGHT have an impact
if you dont mention it WON'T have an impact

How would I phrase something like this appropriately? Something along the lines of: "I am specifically looking to attend medical school in X CITY. My significant other, who I will be marrying in January 2021, lives in and attending graduate school in X CITY."

just expand what your wrote: "Besides receiving a quality medical education, my strong desire to attend your medical school is my finance, whom I will be marrying in January of 2021, attends graduate school in city X"
Thank you.

Another question for you about secondaries: Does the same reviewer generally see the entire secondary at once? Can I reference my answer to a previous question? Specifically, I have a school asking me to explain any breaks in full time school/full time work from starting college until now. I have been working part-time since graduating in January. They have a separate question asking for my plans from 9/2020-7/2021. I plan to continue this same position. Should I explain the job the first time and reference it in the second question or repeat myself?