Is there a fracture on these images?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

interjectionreflection

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

I can't see a fracture but asking from those more experienced they author said there was a 29% loss of height at L2 and the pedicle screw was loose but I don't see anything was hoping those with a keener eye can help me find subtle imaging findings
 
i love the question from the non interventional radiologist "what is the pathology we are treating here?"

and Bealls answer is a logical fallacy. if you are making an argument, then you cannot defend that position by requesting those objecting to provide data. the onus is on you for your position.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i love the question from the non interventional radiologist "what is the pathology we are treating here?"

and Bealls answer is a logical fallacy. if you are making an argument, then you cannot defend that position by requesting those objecting to provide data. the onus is on you for your position.
You beat me to it.
His saying: "Adjacent level cementation can prevent additional extension of fusion. if you ask for data stating this, I would ask you for data stating that it does not" is INSANE! So... I guess I can start doing C6 TFESI for carpal tunnel syndrome now since you can't provide data saying it doesn't work? It's bad when the most vocal people are cowboys.
 

I can't see a fracture but asking from those more experienced they author said there was a 29% loss of height at L2 and the pedicle screw was loose but I don't see anything was hoping those with a keener eye can help me find subtle imaging findings
Actually, the author specifically states the screw is not loose. This is after Beall congratulates him on treating a screw that is “obviously” loose to him. Lol.
 
Just read this guys post, WTH? Spinous process percussion more sensitive than STIR? What is he talking about. And he said that vertebrae is 29% compressed? Huh, i think he’s crazy. Am I missing something
 
Okay as an aside and general question. I see this quite a bit.
Lose S1 or L5 screw with lucency around hardware vs. SI joint dysfunction

How does one treat screws with lucency around hardware
Did you not read the post? Vertebral augmentation obviously 😉

Or have the surgeon take care of it. You my friend can not treat screws with lucency
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you not read the post? Vertebral augmentation obviously 😉

Or have the surgeon take care of it. You my friend can not treat screws with lucency
It appears either revision surgery is what surgeon may do, bone stimulator and time with meds, stop smoking, work on bone health
OR
Anything else?


Here's a Pub med article on it (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554385/)- following is closest I can find for non-surgical management.
When the bone has a decrease in blood supply, it can not heal. This can occur with poor nutrition (pre-albumin levels pre-op to measure) and smoking from poor living habits. Biologic causes of poor blood flow and poor bone healing include diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, vitamin D deficiency, renal insufficiency, and medications (steroids, NSAIDs, opiates). Treatment may contribute to inadequate fracture fixation or stabilization.
- Not sure if NSAIDs are proven in this setting
- Opiates, definetely avoid - may be hard after surgery depending on outcome
- Can optimize bone health certainly with medications
- Steroid is a risk vs. benefit
- Stop Smoking

"The usual course of nonoperative treatment with ultrasound is the placement of ultrasound therapy within three months after the last surgical procedure."
- What the F does this mean?
 
Last edited:
Just read this guys post, WTH? Spinous process percussion more sensitive than STIR? What is he talking about. And he said that vertebrae is 29% compressed? Huh, i think he’s crazy. Am I missing something

He sees things with his radiology eyes that we can’t $ee.
 

I can't see a fracture but asking from those more experienced they author said there was a 29% loss of height at L2 and the pedicle screw was loose but I don't see anything was hoping those with a keener eye can help me find subtle imaging findings
I don’t see a fracture but the screw on image right has lucency at the metal-bone interface. It’s easier to see after he injects cement in the last image.

Not sure how this helps a putatively loose screw.

Maybe he’s just thermally ablating the end plate nerves by way of cement…