is there a glide year in optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamsicle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
....like there is in the med school application process? thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

in_translation said:
like from a post-bacc program?

like, do we need to apply one year in advance before matriculation at an optometry school? our can we apply during our senior year for entrance in the fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
dreamsicle said:
like, do we need to apply one year in advance before matriculation at an optometry school? our can we apply during our senior year for entrance in the fall?
The earlier the better--since many schools have rolling admission. I'm not sure about the other schools, but my school begins taking applications August 1. The deadline is Dec 15 for scholarships and Feb 15 otherwise. Check with the schools you're interested in. I don't think my school is that unusual, so I imagine you'll be applying during your senior year of undergrad or right before your senior year starts.

I will be starting my senior year in the Fall (at Univeristy of Florida), and have just discovered optometry (call me columbus). I have a 3.2 and have not yet taken the OAT.

My plans are to
1. shadow an optometrist for the next few months and
2. take the OAT in October.

Where do I stand? (I want to go to Nova)

And advise is great appreciated!!

SearchSquad said:
I will be starting my senior year in the Fall (at Univeristy of Florida), and have just discovered optometry (call me columbus). I have a 3.2 and have not yet taken the OAT.
Apply as soon as possible, even if you don't have your OAT scores. You can apply without scores and then send them along as soon as you get them. Your acceptance may get delayed, but you can still interview without the scores.

dreamsicle said:
You would generally apply in the fall of your senior year of undergrad for entrance in the next fall's entering class. So if you applied in Fall/Winter '06, you'd be going for a spot in a Fall '07 entering class.

are optometry admissions really anal about the grades in the required pre-requisite classes? Lets say you have an ugly grade or two in those, but the rest of your classes (such as upper level science) are ok, does that stick out like a sore thumb?