Is there a Masters Program For Low GPA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosthis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys i just joined this forum and i'm hoping you can help. here is my situation. i have a overall GPA of 2.9 from one tracscript and 3.5 from another transcript. I already graduated this summer with a bacc Health Science degree. i have not yet taken the MCAT and am planning to do so soon. i know that i cannot get into medical school with this GPA and i want to do a masters program so i can go to med school or DO in a year. I live in IL and need help. what programs can i get into with my credentials. I have a science GPA of 2.0 overall is probably like 3.1. I have 1 F and 3 D's on my transcript I repeated the classes and replaced the F with a C, the D's were replaced by a B, A, C

I just need some advice and some schools to apply to that i know i can get in. Somone please help me i'm so confused. i just don't know how to take the next step after my undergrad. what schools can i apply to? Thank you very much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

VCU Certificate program is very similar to an SMP but has very low entrance requirements. You essentially take the first year medical curriculum in graduate school.

While this is an option for you, it is very, very difficult. It is no doubt a step up from wherever you went to undergrad. So while almost everyone gets into this program, only 10-20% of the class get in to med school.

How many science classes did you take as a Health Science major? Hopefully not too many, because you definitely need to put off the SMP for now and take at least another year of undergrad classes, mostly science. If your overall GPA is around a 3.1, that's quite low for medical school but after an SMP you probably could get in somewhere (coupled with EC's, high MCAT, etc. etc.) But I think it's going to be extremely difficult to get around a 2.0 science GPA, regardless of an SMP.

Unfortunately, the way AMCAS calculates GPA's, your retakes give you points equivelant to the bolded grades that follow:

F + C / 2 = D
D + B / 2 = C
D + A / 2 = b/t C+/B-
D + C / 2 = b/t D+/C-

Now, I don't know if VCU would take you, but even if they would, I wouldn't go yet if I were you. Take as many classes as you feel comfortable this upcoming year and get all A's. Maybe an A- at lowest. Try to get that science GPA up as close to 3.0 as possible, than go for an SMP.

Plus, you haven't taken the MCAT yet, so you won't be getting into an SMP until next August/September anyway. So that gives you all Fall to take classes, get your GPA up, and study hardcore for the MCAT. Focus on that for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for helping, i am just going to study hardcore for the MCAT. Unfortunatly, i have taken many science courses already. So i guess i can just retake them.

I would definitely retake anything that you got below a C- in. You should also strive to take new, upper-level sci classes and prove that you can hack it at a high level.

So I agree w/ Billy, your best bet to get into medical school would be to improve your GPA, esp BCMP, over the next year or 2 by taking Ugrad courses in a post-bac. After that spend another year in an SMP or a similar program.

But if you want to risk it and only spend one year outside of college, then the VCU program will probably give you more bang for your buck than just a normal post-bac. Be warned though, a poor performance in a graduate program, especially one designed to simulate medical school, will be the nail in the coffin. Do poorly and you wont get into medical school, ever. I am not kidding about this or being hyperbolic.

can someone please direct me towards the smp program information on vcu's website? i dont see it ..thank you

I would definitely retake anything that you got below a C- in. You should also strive to take new, upper-level sci classes and prove that you can hack it at a high level.

So I agree w/ Billy, your best bet to get into medical school would be to improve your GPA, esp BCMP, over the next year or 2 by taking Ugrad courses in a post-bac. After that spend another year in an SMP or a similar program.

But if you want to risk it and only spend one year outside of college, then the VCU program will probably give you more bang for your buck than just a normal post-bac. Be warned though, a poor performance in a graduate program, especially one designed to simulate medical school, will be the nail in the coffin. Do poorly and you wont get into medical school, ever. I am not kidding about this or being hyperbolic.

You can say that again. Someone posted in the Caribbean forums who had like a 3.0 undergrad and a 2.9/3.0 SMP GPA, with a 33 MCAT! Rejected from SGU. So a bad SMP GPA even shuts you out of some Caribbean schools:eek:

how does the vcu cert work? if you do well they allow you in their medical school, how do other medical school look at it? is there some kind of linkage to other schools also?

VCU cert program

The entrance requierments are very lax but the courses are as difficult as medical school (they are solely grad courses, you dont take courses w/ the med students). So they let in a lot of people and you get the opportunity to prove yourself.

Depending on which program you are in you generally take: Physio, biochem, histo, neuro, cell phys and a few others.

If you do very well (close to a 4.0) you get into their medical school. Generally it is the top 10-20% that get in but there is no set benchmark or percentage that get in.

No SMPs have linkages like post-bacs do. I am not sure how other schools look at the program becasue those that have done exceptionally well have always opted to go to MCV. Other schools that I know people have gotten into include EVMS and Meharry. I am sure there are others but I never pried into my classmates' lives.

If your GPA is below a 2.8 you definitely need to do a post-bac. If between 2.8-3.0 many on SDN would recommend you bring the GPA up to a 3.0 before doing an SMP (esp if a Cali resident). This is probably a good idea just so that you will make the GPA cutoff at some schools. I did the VCU cert program w/ a 2.8 Ugrad GPA and got in w/ a 4.0 from the cert program. This program is great for very smart people who slacked off in college. Those to got in are now near the top of my med school class.

PM me if you have questions

Another option:

Consider becoming a RN.
You already have a BS

Now go back to Jr College and get your RN license
From there, specialize in a field.

Continue your education after that point and get a masters.

A RN Nurse with a Masters degree can work anywhere, high demand, high pay.

Check www.salary.com

Granted you are not a physician, but you are still in the same environment ,

foil

Or maybe you could just get really sick, granted you wouldn't be a physician but you would still be in the same environment.

While it is a viable option, so is masonry or real estate. I think the OP was looking for some information designed to get him into medical school