Is there a minimum GPA cut-off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fun1nth3sun1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I saw a lot of posts on SDN about a minimum gpa cut-off specifically for DO schools but nothing of certainty. Is there a minimum gpa cut off for cumulative gpa or
science gpa specifically for DO schools, or does it depend on which school you are applying to?

Is it possible for someone to be accepted to DO school with sub 3.0 gpa but strong Post-Bacc gpa or would it be a complete waste of time to apply?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Check the websites of schools you are interested in applying to. I remember seeing a lot of variations of: "We find the most competitive applicants to have a gpa of xxx." IIRC, not a lot state that they have a hard cutoff, but I'm sure that many pre-screen applicants using GPA and/or MCAT.

For your second question: I guess it depends on how low of an undergrad GPA we are talking about, remember that pre-requisites often times need to be met with no lower than a C or a C-

Check the websites of schools you are interested in applying to. I remember seeing a lot of variations of: "We find the most competitive applicants to have a gpa of xxx." IIRC, not a lot state that they have a hard cutoff, but I'm sure that many pre-screen applicants using GPA and/or MCAT.

For your second question: I guess it depends on how low of an undergrad GPA we are talking about, remember that pre-requisites often times need to be met with no lower than a C or a C-
I'm talking 2.3 overall GPA but 3.7-3.8 post-bacc gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't lie that's going to be pretty rough to come back from. IMO it depends on MCAT score, but I am not an admissions person so I don't think I'm qualified to say whether you have a chance or not, but someone like @Goro might.

I won't lie that's going to be pretty rough to come back from. IMO it depends on MCAT score, but I am not an admissions person so I don't think I'm qualified to say whether you have a chance or not, but someone like @Goro might.
Thanks for the honest reply. For my school list, I am specifically targeting newer schools, in-state schools, and DO schools. I would be happy with any school so, I wonder if a new DO school would accept an average MCAT (505). I havent taken the MCAT yet but not sure if I would be able to score 515+ although that would be ideal. I am also planning on getting LORs from the medical director of pathology, another pathologist whom I work with and a DO family medicine/OMM physician I recently shadowed. My PS is compelling and includes my experience with hurricane harvey and includes personal story of two deaths in the family, one who passed away of Parkinsons and one who passed away of Alzheimers/Prostate Cancer. I am not sure if having a compelling PS helps but I am trying to make all other parts of my application good. I have only volunteered about 100 hours for an organization that helps provide resources and funding to war torn countries oversees (Not sure if this helps)? Maybe @Goro could provide his expertise.

Yea that's pretty low--you'll get screened out at a lot of places. TBH you might need to look at going the SMP route.

Thanks for the honest reply. For my school list, I am specifically targeting newer schools, in-state schools, and DO schools. I would be happy with any school so, I wonder if a new DO school would accept an average MCAT (505). I havent taken the MCAT yet but not sure if I would be able to score 515+ although that would be ideal. I am also planning on getting LORs from the medical director of pathology, another pathologist whom I work with and a DO family medicine/OMM physician I recently shadowed. My PS is compelling and includes my experience with hurricane harvey and includes personal story of two deaths in the family, one who passed away of Parkinsons and one who passed away of Alzheimers/Prostate Cancer. I am not sure if having a compelling PS helps but I am trying to make all other parts of my application good. I have only volunteered about 100 hours for an organization that helps provide resources and funding to war torn countries oversees (Not sure if this helps)? Maybe @Goro could provide his expertise.
A new school will be more than happy with a median MCAT score!

When you enter your grades in AACOMAS, they generate a literal page full of GPAs broken down different ways. One of these is overall GPA, and overall bcpm GPA, which combines undergrad, grad, post-bacc...everything. Those both need to be 3.0 to get past the secondary screen at most schools, but not all. For example, my undergrad cumulative GPA is 2.99, but my overall GPA is 3.1, thanks to a good graduate GPA.