Is there a phasing out of American graduates in pulmonary only programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lowaju

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My colleague and I both completed a CCM program last year and we both applied to the 2 year pulmonary programs-needless to say, neither of us got in. We looked at the stats and saw that 90% of those accepted to pulmonary only programs were FMGs. Does anyone know if being an American grad is working against us.
We have USMLE scores in the 90s. I have 5 peer reviewed papers and my colleague has 2.

If anyone knows any information that we don't know, can you please let me know. I wanted to post this to see if anyone else is in this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess that the stat is because very few AMGs would apply for pulmonary. I cannot think of a scenario where FMGs would be preferred over AMGs.

Thanks Redy for commenting. My colleague has given up on re-applying but I think am going to give it one more shot. I'm not sure why we both had a bad turnout but perhaps there's a bias against doing a critical care fellowship first. That may have worked out against us, although I don't see why it should be a big deal if it is a pulmonary only program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Redy for commenting. My colleague has given up on re-applying but I think am going to give it one more shot. I'm not sure why we both had a bad turnout but perhaps there's a bias against doing a critical care fellowship first. That may have worked out against us, although I don't see why it should be a big deal if it is a pulmonary only program.

If I had to guess, I'd say the bias was against somebody who'd already completed another fellowship but funding reasons. Not that it's a rational fear on their part (your 2nd fellowship will be funded the same as your first).

I'm curious what the PD of the program where you did CC said when you asked about returning there though. That would have been my first move.

If I had to guess, I'd say the bias was against somebody who'd already completed another fellowship but funding reasons. Not that it's a rational fear on their part (your 2nd fellowship will be funded the same as your first).

I'm curious what the PD of the program where you did CC said when you asked about returning there though. That would have been my first move.

My PD and hospital are under the impression that the funding is different in these instances, and have on at least 1 occasion passed over a candidate for that reason. I'd seriously doubt that the are trying to push Americans out.

the reason is pulmonary only programs are small community programs and got filled with internal candidates who are FMG and that what the stat shows.There are very few university programs with just pulmonary fellowship.

Did you apply to the pulm only programs? if so, why dont you call around to see if any pulm-cc programs would be willing to let you do pulm only?