Is there a significant difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockTown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been intrigued by discussion and limited reading on the topic of neuropsychological assessment/testing.

My question is this:
I am currently enrolled in a Neuroscience program (MS/PhD). Is that significantly different from Neuropsychology to the point of limiting my ability to have a similar practice?

I am only assuming that Neuropsych is a conglomeration between Clinical Psych and Neuroscience?? My undergrad background is in psych by the way.

Any good suggested readings on this topic?

Members don't see this ad.

RockTown said:
I have been intrigued by discussion and limited reading on the topic of neuropsychological assessment/testing.

My question is this:
I am currently enrolled in a Neuroscience program (MS/PhD). Is that significantly different from Neuropsychology to the point of limiting my ability to have a similar practice?

I am only assuming that Neuropsych is a conglomeration between Clinical Psych and Neuroscience?? My undergrad background is in psych by the way.

Any good suggested readings on this topic?

You need to complete a PhD/PsyD/EdD in clinical psychology with a concentration in neuropsychology. Then you need a one-year clinical internship in neuropsychology/major rotation in neuropsychology, and a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in clinical neuropsychology.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_neuropsychology

Jon Snow said:
Not necessarily. There are programs for experimental Ph.D.s to get clinical certification (re-specialization, basically).

Also a grad program in clinical psychology with a concentration in neuro is not necessary. Preferable, yes, but not necessary. The internship is in clinical psychology, not neuropsychology, though there are neuro-speciality/geared internships. A neuro postdoc is necessary for board certification, but not necessary to practice neuropsychology. Any clinical/couseling psych doctorate with completion of general internship and requisite supervision hours will allow you to practice neuropsychology though those that do this are not competent .

Good point, Dr. Snow. I was referring to the credentials one must have to attain board certification: http://www.theabcn.org/news/index.html

Based on my reading, it seems as if the Houston guidelines attempt to streamline and develop training guidelines for clinical neuropsychology. However, it seems as if these guidelines are very loose in terms of how one can acquire training in clinical neuropsychology and ultimately practice in this field. Why, in your opinion, aren't the requirements more strict? And why is board certification an option and not a requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to type that out! I take it that you're a neuropsychologist?

What about clinical neuroscience? I know we may be dealing in semantics here, but I think there is a difference. Basically, if I have aspirations of doing clinical work I now realize that I will have to complete a clinical PhD.

Will my MS in Neuroscience amount for anything other than a solid foundation?

I had original intentions of applying to medical school after completion of my MS, but I have almost completely changed my mind to get back to my psych roots.

Thanks for all of the info!