Is there a specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0CTORX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in exercise movements(lifting,etc), nutrition, and things like athletic injuries.
I also have an interest in drugs/pharmacology, the way drugs work, etc.... as well.

Wondering mostly on the former if anything in medicine that deals with that exists? Sports Medicine maybe? PMR?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

PMR but you also have to be willing to work with the less attractive side: i.e. lots of stroke victims

Members don't see this ad :)
Sports medicine would probably give you a lot of the former. As for the latter, that's more of a research-type field. It's what we have pharmacologists and biochemists for. For the most part, I don't think clinicians have the depth of understanding necessary to pursue drug biochemical MOAs unless they get a PhD.

I am interested in exercise movements(lifting,etc), nutrition, and things like athletic injuries.
I also have an interest in drugs/pharmacology, the way drugs work, etc.... as well.

Wondering mostly on the former if anything in medicine that deals with that exists? Sports Medicine maybe? PMR?

Thanks.

It sounds most like Family Medicine followed by a 1-2 year Fellowship in Sports Medicine. I have looked into this quite a bit. PMR has more of an emphasis on rehab from things such as stroke as mentioned above from my understanding. You could however still do a Sports Medicine Fellowship after a PMR residency as well.

http://www.newamssm.org/Whatis.pdf

If you are interested in fixing sports injuries surgically and if you can get good grades/scores you could do ortho.

It is a very athletically and mechanically oriented field and the outcomes are for the most part great.