Is there a unit limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Unepetitevoix

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I heard RUMORS that there was a limit on how many units you can take before applying to med school. Is this true? I heard that it's "seven years."

Also, I got mixed answers on this, but are grades replaced or averaged if you retake them? If they're averaged, how are they averaged?

Thanks! 😀
 
What?

I think its for Chemistry and Biology classes its anything thing more than 5 years you should/have to retake.

I think Physics is anything more than 7 years.
 
No, sort of, and no.

There is no unit limit. Plenty of people get second degrees, masters degrees, PhDs, etc. Maybe they got their first degree overseas and have to repeat all of it in the US, etc. I've been taking undergrad courses for 25 years and nobody cares.

There are very few schools that expire prereqs. UMass is the only one I know of that actively does this, but take a look at some web pages. I took physics in 1988, fyi, and nobody cares. You'd want recent rigorous science before you apply, but don't sweat some old prereqs, depending on the med schools you're applying to.

US MD schools do not forgive the old bad grade after a repeat. US DO schools do.

Best of luck to you.