Is there a way to know your position on the waiting list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had interviews early in this cycle. But I am only accepted into a school that is not my first choice and I haven't heard back from other schools I have interviewed with yet. I assume I have been put on a waiting list at those schools. But is there a way to know how many seats are left in my first-choice school and what my position on the waiting list is? Is it ok to write an email asking them about this? I just want to gauge how much hope I still have to be accepted by my first-choice school. And I need to plan and prepare a lot of things accordingly. Thank anyone who would give me some advice on this. I appreciate your care and your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I had interviews early in this cycle. But I am only accepted into a school that is not my first choice and I haven't heard back from other schools I have interviewed with yet. I assume I have been put on a waiting list at those schools. But is there a way to know how many seats are left in my first-choice school and what my position on the waiting list is? Is it ok to write an email asking them about this? I just want to gauge how much hope I still have to be accepted by my first-choice school. And I need to plan and prepare a lot of things accordingly. Thank anyone who would give me some advice on this. I appreciate your care and your time.
at this point, you can assume every seat is taken, however, there will be some shuffling over the next couple of weeks as people who are holding more than one spot are told they have to choose one and the spots that are given up go to those on the waitlist
very few, if any schools will tell you where you are on waitlist...

at this point, you can assume every seat is taken, however, there will be some shuffling over the next couple of weeks as people who are holding more than one spot are told they have to choose one and the spots that are given up go to those on the waitlist
very few, if any schools will tell you where you are on waitlist...
Thank you so much for your reply. I am checking the school's official Facebook page for the newly accepted. It seems the number of people in the face group is only 60-65% of the full class capacity. Is it normal that about 35-40% of the people who hold an offer don't join their school's Facebook group? I'm not questioning you but I'm just curious how do you know that almost all the seats have been taken by now? I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply. I am checking the school's official Facebook page for the newly accepted. It seems the number of people in the face group is only 60-65% of the full class capacity. Is it normal that about 35-40% of the people who hold an offer don't join their school's Facebook group? I'm not questioning you but I'm just curious how do you know that almost all the seats have been taken by now? I appreciate your help.
Technically you shouldn't be part of the newly-admitted-student Facebook page if you haven't been accepted. That said, not everyone joins Facebook because... well, this generation of students likes other platforms now (GroupMe, Discord, etc.). They also tend to organize their own unofficial group pages...

To the original question: the program has the right to tell you if it wants to (which usually... they don't). Not all classes have been filled, but there should be some movement because of the Traffic Rules making sure everyone holds on to one offer if they received more than one.

At this point, you should check on the other schools that you haven't heard back from for a status update. Just don't be too annoying or needy. Read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN .

Technically you shouldn't be part of the newly-admitted-student Facebook page if you haven't been accepted. That said, not everyone joins Facebook because... well, this generation of students likes other platforms now (GroupMe, Discord, etc.). They also tend to organize their own unofficial group pages...

To the original question: the program has the right to tell you if it wants to (which usually... they don't). Not all classes have been filled, but there should be some movement because of the Traffic Rules making sure everyone holds on to one offer if they received more than one.

At this point, you should check on the other schools that you haven't heard back from for a status update. Just don't be too annoying or needy. Read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN .
What is the deadline for students who are holding multiple acceptances?

I'm not in any Facebook group of the dental school I'm not admitted to. I just clicked on the link of the Facebook group then it shows how many members are there in the group. Do you know whether Texas schools have the same traffic rules?

schools would be foolish to have many open spots right now
they need to get as many of their spots locked in and not have any uncertainty whether they are going to get the students they want

and yes, it's normal for the fb group to have fewer (or more) members than there are spots in the class
do not count on this as any indication at all...

Reactions: 1 user