Is there an opportunity for PharmD in Disease management?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmaco4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating from pharmacy school next year and would like to focus on chronic disease management. Since pharmacist can't prescribe, I see two options either to complete a residency and try to get into collaborative agreement with physicians or get a PA degree. I will appreciate any thoughts/ opinions on the subject. May be somebody knowns or heard of any pharmacists working in similar setting or have their own practice. I don't know if there would be a demand for this.

Members don't see this ad.

You've been to pharmacy school and they haven't gone over this yet? I think I've heard about disease management than any other topic we've covered.

I am graduating from pharmacy school next year and would like to focus on chronic disease management. Since pharmacist can't prescribe, I see two options either to complete a residency and try to get into collaborative agreement with physicians or get a PA degree. I will appreciate any thoughts/ opinions on the subject. May be somebody knowns or heard of any pharmacists working in similar setting or have their own practice. I don't know if there would be a demand for this.

There is certainly demand for pharmacists managing chronic diseases. Try to get some ambulatory care experience under your belt during your rotation year, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the opportunities available.

I did a rotation with a pharmacist who was part of an employee health initiative at her hospital. Employees met with a pharmacist every few months to discuss their diabetes and/or asthma, and the pharmacist would follow up with each employee's physician via a letter. The pharmacist would update the physician on lab values, weight changes, patient concerns and medication recommendations. In return, employees got all of their asthma and diabetes supplies for free through their employer. Employees were empowered to improve their health and the hospital was able to decrease health care costs in the long run.

I am always advocating for the VA system, and there are some solid ambulatory care residencies and job opportunities in VA hospitals all over the country. Prescribing rights vary, but you can find pharmacists managing everything from hypertension to hepatitis C in VA clinics.