Is there any college in USA that I could get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
My MCAT V9 PS9 BS10
GPA 3.2 any chance anywhere in USA.I am a pennsylvanian.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also a PA resident so I think I can say with some certainty, that you should stand a fair chance at either Temple or Drexel.

Members don't see this ad :)
You Mean college or Medical School?

ohman said:
Hi Everyone.
My MCAT V9 PS9 BS10
GPA 3.2 any chance anywhere in USA.I am a pennsylvanian.

not if you dont have something substantial and fairly unique. numbers are not enough for me to tell you what schools youll get into. besides, thats what the mdapplicants site is for.

Yeah, check out http://www.mdapplicants.com/

Apply to schools closer to your range.

Wayne State
Michigan State
Albany
Vermont
University of Wisconsin
Virginia
Case Western
Wake Forest
George Washington University
Tulane

Are schools I would apply to in your situation.

Of course Penn State, University of Penn, Drexel, and Temple are musts.

There are others too, I'd try to apply to lots and lots of schools ($$$) and some DO schools if you're willing.

I think you have a fair shot at all the schools that people listed. And definitely DO.

ctaborda said:
You Mean college or Medical School?

well the poster listed his/her mcat scores. so its obviously med school. btw, many institutes call themselves "college of medicine" and not school of medicine.

What are your EC?s like?..do you have great LOR?s?

docmemi said:
well the poster listed his/her mcat scores. so its obviously med school. btw, many institutes call themselves "college of medicine" and not school of medicine.

Those schools are obviously posers and teach fake medicine.

With a 3.2 and a 28 I think it is going to be extremly hard to get into any MD school in the US, unless you have extremly good EC's and have tremendous luck. (With the exeption of URM) I would recommend you applying to DO schools (PCOM especially) and saving your money. Or if you have some extra money apply to the MD schools in your state and pray.

Doing research at a philly med school for 4 weeks also have done quite a bit of volunteer work at a hospital etc,does that improve my chances.Hoping and Praying :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't look at mdapplicants whatever you do!!! It's so intimidating/depressing, even for people with good scores. I think the site is a really good idea, but it won't be functional until they start getting responses from a broader sample of applicants.

Take it all with a grain of salt and apply everywhere you want or have an inkling that you might get in.

It is all a gamble and a process that no one understands.

There are a lot of good posts here with school names that I would shoot for if I was in your shoes.

Geographically, there are some great post-bacs in your area - check them out too.

People lie like rugs on MDapplicants so don't worry.

Remember to sell yourself and highlight what is unique.

Best of luck. :thumbup:

How did it turn out?

Assuming that your science GPA is solid, you interview well, and have good ECs and LORs, I think you will get into an MD program somewhere. For the record, your MCAT score isn't bad considering it's a 10, 9, 9. The GPA hurts though. But, I would give it a shot, if I were in your shoes.

I agree with those that have been telling you not to worry. Numbers aren't necessarily taken at face value. For example, your 10/9/9 will look better than a 12/8/8. GPAs are also equivocal- I only have a 3.48 overall, but I don't have a single C, just a couple B-'s in stupid liberal arts courses and a lot of A-'s. Also, ADCOMs have to realize that kids attending small liberal arts schools (like me) have a much harder time getting those 4.0 A's than state school students do. In the biology program at my school, we do triple back flips if we end up with A-'s! You could have a "good" 3.2- focus on the anomalies and address them during interviews. Don't sweat it, dude. :thumbup:

mac...

that's my question exactly. how do med schools differentiate between GPAs from various institutions? AMCAS's system for normalizing GPA does not seem particularly useful. this past semester, in addition to studying for the MCAT (34S), working 6-8 hours a week, researching 15-18 hours a week, and taking 3 senior/graduate-level molec/cell biology/genetics courses, I ended up with a 3.62, which is the best GPA I've pulled so far in my three years at cornell (arts and sciences college). i have two publications and an abstract, etc.; will my 3.4 overall (non-science 3.8 or something) prevent my getting into say, univ of chicago? or northwestern or nyu?

all other opinions welcome too. :oops:

I believe you have a shot, but you will have to address the gpa.

I have to chime in about the list of schools that someone above offered. I don't think that your scores are competitive at Wake or UVA.

Good Luck.

OP-

We (SDNers) have no sayso in who will let you in, so apply to where you want to go. I do agree with the basis of most of the previous posts - your numbers are much more similiar to a successful DO applicant than of a MD applicant, but only because of your GPA. I have a higher GPA than you, identical MCAT, but no research...so now who's better? Just give it a go. I'd say that you would have a tremendous amount of difficulty at U Penn, Harvard, etc. But why not try Penn State, maybe some SUNYs, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, etc.? You can also apply DO simultaneously.

And I do think your undergrad school matters. The AdCom at SUNY Upstate uses a system in which they apply a weight (or at least consideration) to the undergrad school of each applicant. So I went to Utica College in upstate NY. My GPA from there isn't nearly as impressive to schools (or at least to SUNY Upstate) as the applicant from MIT with the exact same GPA as mine.

Apply. Good luck.

dc

Apply, and during the fall and spring, continue taking classes (but at a state school this time), getting straight A's which should bump your GPA up to the 3.4 range (assuming you are not at 200 credit hours already). Your MCAT is good enough, but it will only last for 3 years at most. Don't forget to keep updating schools that you have applied to. If your EC's and LOR's are good, you have a good chance, although it may not be until next year.

Chinkemon-

I hope those kinds of numbers are good enough for U of Chicago and Northwestern because those are two of my top-choice schools! :thumbup:

I know for a fact that NU isn't all about GPA. They like high MCATs, so your 34 will look great, and I'm pretty sure the research will be a boon as well. I actually do research full-time at NU over the summer, so again, I'm sure hoping it counts for something. Good luck

WalterSobchakk said:
Don't look at mdapplicants whatever you do!!! It's so intimidating/depressing, even for people with good scores. I think the site is a really good idea, but it won't be functional until they start getting responses from a broader sample of applicants.

Um... most of the people I know who were accepetd to medical school had stats just like the people on mdapplicants. ~3.5/32

It's skewed slightly... but only slightly.