is there any hope for me? peds-->Ob

Started by maxima
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maxima

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
Call me crazy but I am a 4th year med student who has already applied for pediatric residency. I love peds, but I also love OB/Gyn. I would probably be happy in either field but lately I have started to think maybe I should put in some apps for OB. Yes, I know it is very late (too late?) in the process but I thought I should maybe cover my bases. Not trying to brag, just so you know my situation, I have great numbers and a great OB evaluation. Is there any chance that programs would interview me or even accept my application? Hopefully you won't judge or question my commitment to either field, just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience in this area. Thanks!
 
I think most OB programs have a November 1 or November 15 deadline so most likely you will be very limited as to where you can apply. Also most interview slots are filled by now.
 
Might be too late for Obs.....most programs have already responded as you can tell from the interviews and rejections thread....and you just might be a little bit late on the deadlines. I's say stick with paeds and then try again next year. You should still be able to apply for prelim year spots though I think so if you are really interested in obs go for prelim year and then apply for pgy2 spots as they open up.

Good Luck !!
 
I think you are too late for OB/GYN. Most programs try to get all their interviews over with by the Christmas holidays, so most dates are already full by now. Very, very few even have dates scheduled in January, much less actually have open spots on those dates. Also, some of the bigger name programs only have two or three interview days, so they have even fewer options. Stick with peds or try a transitional year or prelim year like someone above suggested.