Is there any hope for me to match into 'Psychiatry'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

no80s

Reaction score
First i apologize if these types of threads are posted numerously, But i wouldn't have started it, If i didn't feel the need to, And each person has his own unique situation.

I am a non-US IMG who is passionate about psychiatry, It's my dream specialty.

I graduated on 2016 from baghdad, Middle of my class

My step 1 score is 236

My step 2 score is 221! (Yes i know its a bad drop, I experienced a panic attack in the middle of a block and randomly answered the other half because i couldn't read the questions, It was a miracle i pulled through until i finished the exam, But what's done is done)

I need a visa to the US, Preferably a H1B (But I'm willing to apply into any psych programs with only a J-1)

Unfortunately i have no USCE, But i'm willing to do anything to increase my chances into matching into psych, But i'm afraid i already shot myself in the foot, Can anyone help in guiding me?

1-Would an impressive step 3 score somehow compensate for my terrible CK score?

2-I would do anything to get USCE, But i already graduated, Is there another way?

3-I'm considering getting a master's degree in 'clinical psychology' from my home country, (It's a 2 years master), Is this worth it? (Since i'm risking becoming an old graduate)?

Would appreciate any advice i can get. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Aim for #3, and talk to specific programs regarding, as you put it, USCE. It's a case by case basis. Highly variable and a challenging road #2.

Personally, I would not delay trying to match asap without going for extra degrees, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having Step 3 in hand can certainly help an IMG with an "iffy" Step 2. Mainly we try to infer from your Step 2 score whether you're at risk for failing Step 3, and being ineligible for licensure. So Done and Passed--check that off.

H1Bs are going to be VERY hard to come by. The short of it is that those cost the hiring institution a lot of money, whereas J1s cost the applicants a little bit. You have to be stellar talent for a program to want to sponsor H1B for you.

And then ... hate to say this ... your home country is now on the Banned list. So good luck at all in the current administration. Maybe you should spend the 2 years on the Masters to wait for a new President...

And then ... hate to say this ... your home country is now on the Banned list. So good luck at all in the current administration. Maybe you should spend the 2 years on the Masters to wait for a new President...
Iraq was removed from the ban list ages ago when they realized how f***** up it was given that people had put their lives in danger on the promise of being able to come to the US.

can't you get psychiatry experience or complete psych residency in Iraq as back up and keep applying here? you can get externships even after graduating. also step 3 will not be a bad idea.

also look into neurology (later do fellowship in behavioral neurology with which you can do geriatric and other psychiatry or possibly IDD fellowship or brain injury medicine) or pm&r (get board certified in brain injury medicine) or family medicine (and do fellowship in mental health or sports medicine and then BIM) or internal medicine ( and do fellowship in addictions). Thus there are many routes to mental health.

No it's not worth it to do number 3 if you want to end up in the US.

You can still do observerships in the US. They don't count as much as USCEs but they still count for something and definitely a lot more than any training you do in Iraq which is going to actually hurt you even more. Your best bet is to go somewhere that potentially can accept you (do observership/research...etc), get to know people, build connections and hope that they like you. At the end of the day, personally knowing an applicant over an extended amount of time trumps everything else on the application.

Oh and do get Step 3 under the belt. Your scores are decent for psychiatry; with a pass on Step 3, I don't think most people would care much about a 221 Step 2 (and don't tell them you had a panic attack during the exam - incidentally, your score is not "terrible").

If you want to go down this route, make sure you know what you're doing. Nothing is guaranteed. The odds are still against you especially with a graduation in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator: