Is there any hope for someone who failed a nursing program by .5%? Desperate partner seeking help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwtpeditw

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I really want to help my partner, I am in need of some assistance and would really appreciate any advice. I am trying to look up all I can to help him but I would be so grateful for an outside opinion. Thank you so much for your time. My family and I want to support him to go for his aspirations, any reply that can aid us means everything to me right now. (I have Autism and am not the best at wording things so I hope I can convey my message properly.)

My partner of almost 5 years just moved in with my family and I after failing a nursing program by .5%. He got a 74.5% when a 75% was needed. It was definitely a toxic environment and we wanted to help him, his family is very poor and his mother is physically disabled and suffers from severe mental illness. He is a good man who wanted to help them and spent all his spare time doing so, since we've been together I knew of his dreams of being a physician but in the environment he was in he felt he didn't have that opportunity, we want to support him here in his endeavors.

My question is if this path is closed off to him before we even begin? Now that he lives with us we are enrolling in the local four year university here so he can take his prerequisites and now that he doesn't have to spend all his time providing care for his family he can now do the clinical and non-clinical volunteering he wants and pursue extracurricular activities. He knows this will not be easy and is prepared for an uphill battle but I really want to encourage him and give him hope even if it takes years.

I hope I can word this properly and not offend anyone. He lived in the deep south and his nursing program was in Alabama, everything was going fine until he was outed by a classmate as gay in front of the teachers, he was the top student in his class before this event and after that event was treated completely differently from everyone else. I honestly didn't believe him when he told me he was being discriminated against, and I was shocked that something like that could happen, he is a person that doesn't like excuses and this whole thing has been very hard on him. After it was made very obvious to him about how the teachers felt (They all unfriended him from Facebook and many other things, which I have no clue why they would friend students anyway.) he wanted to withdraw but I discouraged that. I feel very bad about it and hope I didn't ruin his future. He felt he had no proof to pursue anything about it and wanted to move on from the whole experience.

He has 109 college credits (his state had a lottt of prerequisites for Nursing) and a GPA of almost 3.5 at the moment, he still has to take the prerequisite classes like Biochemistry, Physics, Statistics. Of course we are expecting a few years to do all the required things before he can apply but is this even possible? I tried looking up similar stories and all I could find had replies that it was a red flag and basically there was no chance at Med school anymore. He doesn't care about school ranking and would be elated for any MD school, we live in a rural underserved area in NM and would definitely apply to state school.

Thank you for reading. Anything you guys can say means a lot right now, you all know a lot more about this stuff than I do as I have only graduated High School, I just want to help my significant other.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear all that.

It's not clear to me exactly what happened. So he has a 3.5 GPA but failed a nursing 'program' with a 74.5%? Was this just one class that he failed? I suppose I just can't see how a whole degree program could be failed with a "C" average and still have a 3.5 overall.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear all that.

It's not clear to me exactly what happened. So he has a 3.5 GPA but failed a nursing 'program' with a 74.5%? Was this just one class that he failed? I suppose I just can't see how a whole degree program could be failed with a "C" average and still have a 3.5 overall.
I am confused as well. This was a bachelors program? or ADN? This one "C" got him dropped from the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much. Yes, he did not pass Nursing school because his schools requirement was you needed a 75 in each nursing class to pass their ADN program, this happened in the third semester of a five semester program. Sorry if I didn't make it totally clear. I am a bit overwhelmed by all this and trying to learn as much as I can haha, not completely familiar with all the terminology. So, yes he just failed one class by 0.5% and that failed the program. He did have the opportunity to go back but he would have had to wait an entire year to do so. That's the way some nursing schools work unfortunately. Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the edits he had to clarify for me.

Thank you very much. Yes, he did not pass Nursing school because his schools requirement was you needed a 75 in each nursing class to pass their ADN program, this happened in the third semester of a five semester program. Sorry if I didn't make it totally clear. I am a bit overwhelmed by all this and trying to learn as much as I can haha, not completely familiar with all the terminology. So, yes he just failed one class by 0.5% and that failed the program. He did have the opportunity to go back but he would have had to wait an entire year to do so. That's the way some nursing schools work unfortunately. Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the edits he had to clarify for me.
Oh no worries! I get it. I chose to go back to school at two weeks postpartum because my nursing program was the same = you have to wait a year to take the courses if you have to take time off. I didn't want to wait a year!

This is actually not too bad of news for him. His overall GPA is good. Having this one "C" grade is something that can be explained - he has a serious reason to not have done well (stressful family/home life). He has done well overall :). He should be proud.

Plus, it was ADN which means he can switch his major to something else and complete a bachelors in two years (or less). This might be a blessing in disguise, meaning he can do more pre-med courses and major in something he might be more interested in/less demanding than nursing (considering required clinical hours)?

I absolutely recommend that he shake it off, put his chin up and do incredibly well in his new program. HE CAN DO IT! New beginning. Sometimes these situations happen to help us move on to bigger and better things.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh no worries! I get it. I chose to go back to school at two weeks postpartum because my nursing program was the same = you have to wait a year to take the courses if you have to take time off. I didn't want to wait a year!

This is actually not too bad of news for him. His overall GPA is good. Having this one "C" grade is something that can be explained - he has a serious reason to not have done well (stressful family/home life). He has done well overall :). He should be proud.

Plus, it was ADN which means he can switch his major to something else and complete a bachelors in two years (or less). This might be a blessing in disguise, meaning he can do more pre-med courses and major in something he might be more interested in/less demanding than nursing (considering required clinical hours)?

I absolutely recommend that he shake it off, put his chin up and do incredibly well in his new program. HE CAN DO IT! New beginning. Sometimes these situations happen to help us move on to bigger and better things.
Haha thanks! :) Wow, I was so shocked hearing about those things! Oh my gosh thank you sooo much, your reply really made us smile and gave us a lot of hope! Totally made my day, such a big learning curve even looking into all this stuff for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Definitely, I am very proud of him, he is very intelligent and kind as well as a hard worker. I'm very glad I posted here now even though I was scared to! I definitely frazzled myself looking all this up and expecting the worst. I tend to overthink haha. That's great news to hear.

You're awesome! Your words meant a lot to this stranger, thank you for taking time out of your day to help! I definitely believe in him, he's willing to work his butt off no matter what it takes and I'm glad we can provide him a better opportunity here.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha thanks! :) Wow, I was so shocked hearing about those things! Oh my gosh thank you sooo much, your reply really made us smile and gave us a lot of hope! Totally made my day, such a big learning curve even looking into all this stuff for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Definitely, I am very proud of him, he is very intelligent and kind as well as a hard worker. I'm very glad I posted here now even though I was scared to! I definitely frazzled myself looking all this up and expecting the worst. I tend to overthink haha. That's great news to hear.

You're awesome! Your words meant a lot to this stranger, thank you for taking time out of your day to help! I definitely believe in him, he's willing to work his butt off no matter what it takes and I'm glad we can provide him a better opportunity here.
Absolutely! My pleasure. There is no need for negativity on here - there is enough of that in the world. This is a very stressful process - going pre-med and applying but he can do it. On to the next! :horns:

A supportive environment will work wonders. :luck:

Feel free to private message message me if you have other questions and don't want to post publicly (your settings don't allow you to receive private messages). I am currently in the middle of the application cycle and finishing up pre-requisites. I have had a pretty non-traditional course and had to figure things out on my own (first generation). There are so many great FREE online sources to help with hard science concepts. Best of luck to you both!

Absolutely! My pleasure. There is no need for negativity on here - there is enough of that in the world. This is a very stressful process - going pre-med and applying but he can do it. On to the next! :horns:

A supportive environment will work wonders. :luck:

Feel free to private message message me if you have other questions and don't want to post publicly (your settings don't allow you to receive private messages). I am currently in the middle of the application cycle and finishing up pre-requisites. I have had a pretty non-traditional course and had to figure things out on my own (first generation). There are so many great FREE online sources to help with hard science concepts. Best of luck to you both!
Yay, every bit of positivity makes a huge difference and can make a huge impact in someones life no matter how small it seems. :) Oh definitely, I'm not even going through it personally and just going down this rabbithole recently, wow. So much to learn! Everyone going through all this I definitely admire. That's super cool! I wish you lots of luck! Positive thoughts to you! :p My partner is a first generation college student as well, and noone in his family is in the medical field so we've had a lot to learn. Yay for the internet! :) Oh, sorry, I just joined and posted minutes later even though I've been on a hours a day lurking spree haha, I think I changed it, hopefully. I'm shy when it comes to initiating but always up to talk.

Yay, every bit of positivity makes a huge difference and can make a huge impact in someones life no matter how small it seems. :) Oh definitely, I'm not even going through it personally and just going down this rabbithole recently, wow. So much to learn! Everyone going through all this I definitely admire. That's super cool! I wish you lots of luck! Positive thoughts to you! :p My partner is a first generation college student as well, and noone in his family is in the medical field so we've had a lot to learn. Yay for the internet! :) Oh, sorry, I just joined and posted minutes later even though I've been on a hours a day lurking spree haha, I think I changed it, hopefully. I'm shy when it comes to initiating but always up to talk.
Thank you! Keep up the grit! *Air high five*

I am confused as well. This was a bachelors program? or ADN? This one "C" got him dropped from the program?
74.5% isn't a C, at my nursing school that would've been F

74.5% is a 1.9 = C at a community/junior college. I did verify this for my local college district.

Your school may have a different grading system?

Grading Scale: 100 point and 4.0 equivalent

The following chart shows what a grade on a 100 point scale equals on the 4.0 scale.

95 and greater: 4.0
94: 3.9
93: 3.8
92: 3.7
91: 3.6
90: 3.5
89: 3.4
88: 3.3
87: 3.2
86: 3.1
85: 3.0
84: 2.9
83: 2.8
82: 2.7
81: 2.6
80: 2.5
79: 2.4
78: 2.3
77: 2.2
76: 2.1
75: 2.0
74: 1.9
73: 1.8
72: 1.7
71: 1.6
70: 1.5
69: 1.4
68: 1.3
67: 1.2
66: 1.1
65: 1.0
64: 0.9
63: 0.8
62: 0.7
Under 62: 0.0

*sigh*
This was such a pleasant, heartwarming thread until RNtoMD87 came in and killed the mood

Nursing typically has a stricter grading scale than college.

"The student must attain a minimum grade of “C” in each prescribed course in the curriculum and a grade of “Satisfactory” in each nursing laboratory or clinical component. The grading scale for all nursing courses is: 93-100 A, 92-85 B, 84-77 C, 76-69 D, 68 & below F." -ULL
"Complete all nursing courses with a grade of “C” or better. The grading scale for all nursing courses is: A-93-100; B-85-92; C-77-84; D-65-76; F-failure below 65." -LSU Nursing school

Same neighborhood (75-78) minimum passing requirement for- Perdue, Chatanooga, and Rutgers (quick google).

Its pretty standard in nursing that a C is required, and its also pretty standard to have a tighter grading scale. Just some information.

So technically it isn't an "F" but it is still failing.

MacBee-
welcome.jpg

Last edited:
Nursing typically has a stricter grading scale than community college.

"The student must attain a minimum grade of “C” in each prescribed course in the curriculum and a grade of “Satisfactory” in each nursing laboratory or clinical component. The grading scale for all nursing courses is: 93-100 A, 92-85 B, 84-77 C, 76-69 D, 68 & below F." -ULL
"Complete all nursing courses with a grade of “C” or better. The grading scale for all nursing courses is: A-93-100; B-85-92; C-77-84; D-65-76; F-failure below 65." -LSU Nursing school

Same neighborhood (75-78) minimum passing requirement for- Perdue, Chatanooga, and Rutgers (quick google).

Its pretty standard in nursing that a C is required, and its also pretty standard to have a tighter grading scale. Just some information.

So technically it isn't an "F" but it is still failing.
Correct. The OP said their S.O. received a "C" grade and failed out of the nursing program. In your initial response, your said that a 74.5% would not have been a "C", it would have been "F".

Failing was not being debated. Calculating a 74.5% as "F" versus "C" grade was debated. With the information you posted, you reiterated what everyone else already said. It's a "C" grade [and not cutting it for the nursing program as the OP posted initially].

So question- does AMCAS consider the letter grade based on THEIR scale, or the schools arbitrary scale? I have a lot of 92% Bs...

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated right now. :)
Thank you! Keep up the grit! *Air high five*
You're welcome! You too! :) /High five back

Agree with @Talkbirthytome :nod:... this is a blessing in disguise! But find out if his program considered 74% a C or F (in our nursing program, it was a C).

Also, this is good to read:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Good luck OP and partner!! And happy holidays:biglove:
Thank you very much! He told me it was a C. :) That link is one of the many I have linked to him haha. :) Happy holidays to you as well! Thanks for the positivity guys, really making a difference in this strangers life.

Thank you very much! He told me it was a C. :) That link is one of the many I have linked to him haha. :) Happy holidays to you as well! Thanks for the positivity guys, really making a difference in this strangers life.
Oh yayyy :claps: He's starting from a good place then! Other than the premed courses, have him start working on his ECs ASAP and kill the MCAT when he's good and ready... you guys will be in med school school in no time!! :soexcited:

Much aloha :)

Oh yayyy :claps: He's starting from a good place then! Other than the premed courses, have him start working on his ECs ASAP and kill the MCAT when he's good and ready... you guys will be in med school school in no time!! :soexcited:

Much aloha :)
Yay! That's great! Other than that he's never had under a B in his college career. Certainly going to work his hardest on those courses. Oh definitely, now that he's over here he finally has the opportunity to do the volunteering and extracurriculars he wants to do, we're looking into volunteering with a Service Dog organization right now. :) So many options! Even if it takes years, my job is to support him on this journey. He has overcome a lot and we're committed to this road even with the difficulties. I'm happy to have this forum, it's been a great resource and has helped us more than you guys could ever know, I really appreciate everyone's contribution from the bottom of my heart (no matter how corny it sounds haha, hope for someones dream is priceless). Have an awesome day!