Is there anyone want to study in china!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keny123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone want to study in china!;) ;) ;) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
im currently studying medicine here in china and i am in my third year now.....what i feel is ....the clinical practice for students is not adequeate compared to India ....

Is there anyone want to study in china!;) ;) ;) :)
I too would like to study in China, but I feel that is it a difficult process in terms of the logistics to work in the USA with a degree in medicine overseas. Any other degree is ok.

Yes, in fact I'm now.
Studying medicine in China is a new phenomenon. But I think it's worth to give it a try. Many professors are experienced, and what I like the most is the facility.
But, the main disadvantage is the language. You have to be able to speak fluent and understandable chinese in order to communicate with patients. That's quite a challenge, though. :D

Think about a program to study herbal medicine there

Yes, in fact I'm now.
Studying medicine in China is a new phenomenon. But I think it's worth to give it a try. Many professors are experienced, and what I like the most is the facility.
But, the main disadvantage is the language. You have to be able to speak fluent and understandable chinese in order to communicate with patients. That's quite a challenge, though. :D

I agree. The biggest hindrance is the language. There are about half-a-dozen MBBS programs offered in English here in PR China, but the clincals which are conducted at local facilities (as opposed to foreign expat/international facilities) require a working knowledge of Mandarin. Added to that, not only does one need Mandarin but also medical terminology in Mandarin, which can be complicated by the language itself. Mandarin is a figurative language, compared with English which is very literal and descriptive. There are some areas of the English language that just cannot be translated into Mandarin.
On the positive side, the course fees are much lower for full-fee paying international medical students. In certain clinical areas students are possibly exposed to more clinical experience (e.g. surgical rota) just by the share volume of numbers. The volumes of turnover of patients is high... because there are so many Chinese patients... which can itself complicate things as some Chinese are illiterate, or only speak their dialect, or can't understand complicated Mandarin etc.

Another issue I think is that one has to learn verbatim. There's little application or extension of concepts beyond what's being learnt. One must grasp just what is being taught, like route learning/memorisation without a broad application and integration of the concepts like in problem based learning (PBL) etc.

Just my kuais worth...

Yes! I'm moving to China for medical school in the Fall. Anyone else?

Hello,

I'm a Canadian student whose is seeking for MD programs taught in English in mainland China. I'm not sure if anyone has gone through this route before? I mean getting successfully matched after coming back to either USA or Canada?

Please recommend a good medical school!

Thanks a bunch!

I think better not study in china, if u don't want to pay much attantion to chinese language. There r many indian people study in my school, some of them r friends of mine. they thought they have problem in the intern, cuz the language, most time the patient can't speak english well, some teachers(actually doctor who contral the inern) can't speak english well too. so most time people don't wanna the indian students try the most important part of the intern...but if u can study chinese well, it will be no problem...

I know many schools in China offering MD programs in English. I don't think it is a problem for you guys who want to earn MD there and come back to the US to practice. But to practice in China require very influent Chinese undoubtedly.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.
Most schools in China offers a 5 year MBBS in English. You do not need a prior degree. Fees are also cheap at $5K USD. The popular ones are Wuhan, Peking University, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Sun Yat Sen university etc.

the issue i can see for most north americans is that, ITS CHINA.. they speak mandarin. I do see a problem doing your rotation. Also they do not confer u your degree unless u finish a 1 year internship and pass the local board exams in CHINESE. They don't train you for USMLE....

so...look elsewhere, unless u happen to be quite fluent in Chinese..

Talk about the blind leading the blind.
Most schools in China offers a 5 year MBBS in English. You do not need a prior degree. Fees are also cheap at $5K USD. The popular ones are Wuhan, Peking University, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Sun Yat Sen university etc.

the issue i can see for most north americans is that, ITS CHINA.. they speak mandarin. I do see a problem doing your rotation. Also they do not confer u your degree unless u finish a 1 year internship and pass the local board exams in CHINESE. They don't train you for USMLE....

so...look elsewhere, unless u happen to be quite fluent in Chinese..

The above comment about taking the boards is false. You do not have to take the local board exams in chinese if you do not plan to practice in China. You get your degree when you complete the required courses and internship. If the country you plan to practice in requires you to take the local boards in the country of your med school, then it's a different matter. This doesn't apply to the US atleast.

The 1 year internship can be done abroad, but is done in China by default. I'm also interested how hard it is to get through this internship with no prior knowledge in chinese. They teach you chinese from day 1 for sure, but is it enough?

Hi,
I am interested in a course about chinese medicine, mostly about methods of diagnosis and herbal medicine. Does anyone know where I can find some courses for this?

If you're trying to find a cheap place to do med school central europe is great. Czech republic, poland and hungary now offer courses in english with international classes.

May I know which school are you studying now?

THank you

hi
im currently studying medicine here in china and i am in my third year now.....what i feel is ....the clinical practice for students is not adequeate compared to India ....

My I know which school are you studying now?

Thanks

I see a lot of students' concerns being voiced here about the language barrier. However, one should not be completely overwhelmed by that factor because medical/dental courses are offered in English (but be sure to check if the university is accredited to lecture in English).
Universities in China should also be recognized by the country you wish to practice in, you can check up on this by contacting the respective health council in your country.

To help combat the language barrier, universities require that foreign students complete Chinese/Mandarin courses for up to two years at a basic level (this helps students adjust).
Universities also offer medical degrees that are 6 years long but the final year is in-service training (which may allow students to conduct it in the country of their choosing - if discussed & approved by the Chinese medical university).

Another thing I should mention is that the lecturers aren't native English speakers but they're still able to lecture in English - students should, however, be comfortable with self-studying though (not matter the country or degree - universities are where you should be learning to work on your own).
Upon completion of your in-service, you will be required to write & pass board exams.

Regards,
StudyMedicineinChina.co.za

The main concern with this is that China doesn't really offer a plan for residency, if they offered residency to the graduates then you would see much more interest, but unfortunately without offering them a training path to become a doctor these programs don't look very good.