Is there hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvestr21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some honest opinions about my situation. I took the MCAT for the first time in april and scored 24. Just a bad day. I retook it in august and scored a 34, but didn't apply. I have 3.8 gpa, EMT, 2 years research, spanish minor, tutor, 4 years consistent volunteering in ER....etc

Do I have a shot with the likes of Cornell, NYU, Vandy, Emory.....
Do you guys think the first score is a stab in the heart?

Members don't see this ad.

nvestr21 said:
I would like some honest opinions about my situation. I took the MCAT for the first time in april and scored 24. Just a bad day. I retook it in august and scored a 34, but didn't apply. I have 3.8 gpa, EMT, 2 years research, spanish minor, tutor, 4 years consistent volunteering in ER....etc

absolutely, you've got a great shot; why didn't you apply? good luck!

Yes, for sure. Apply anywhere you want

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second that. Your first attempt MCAT won't significantly hurt you. As for everyone, though, apply broadly. Unless the schools you mention are the only ones you would like to attend, and you are willing to reapply if necessary.

You will get an interview at almost any school you apply to if you apply in June. Practice for the interviews and apply before your score expires.

nvestr21 said:

They'll take the 24 into account, so that if you're being compared to an applicant who took the MCAT once and got a 34/3.8 he/she'll be given prority. But, no, that 24 won't keep you out.

Don't' worry about things that are out of your hands. Just apply, and see what happens.

Shaz said:
They'll take the 24 into account, so that if you're being compared to an applicant who took the MCAT once and got a 34/3.8 he/she'll be given prority. But, no, that 24 won't keep you out.

Don't' worry about things that are out of your hands. Just apply, and see what happens.

some will and some won't. Many schools will commend you for your 10 point improvement! I improved 8 points to a 33 and have been accepted at many "top" schools. My interviewer at Harvard was very impressed with the increase of my score and said she has never seen someone improve so much. I bet they would be amazed at your accomplishs. Congrats! Your numbers will get you into any school you want! Its all the extras that will determine whether or not you get in.

nvestr21 said:

you have a good shot! I'd just explain to them about the lower score. but even if not, you have an excellent chance at any state school.

Ps... GO VANDY!

the other Dr. said:
Your numbers will get you into any school you want! Its all the extras that will determine whether or not you get in.

and what is the difference between these two statements? don't both refer to getting accepted?

Psycho Doctor said:
and what is the difference between these two statements? don't both refer to getting accepted?
I suspect he means that the OP's numbers meet the sine qua non for any school. Whether the OP actually gets into those schools depends on other factors.

yeah your 24 i dont think will hurt you much....if they asked what happened the first time you took it, just say you had a bad day....or your alarm didnt go off and you were in a rush, they wont really care....they will only really care about the 34 and the 10 pt improvement....apply to wherever, you'll be fine, although I agree apply to a broad range of schools, you never know with these adcoms....best of luck to you! :luck:

Blue Scrub said:
yeah your 24 i dont think will hurt you much....if they asked what happened the first time you took it, just say you had a bad day....or your alarm didnt go off and you were in a rush, they wont really care....they will only really care about the 34 and the 10 pt improvement....apply to wherever, you'll be fine, although I agree apply to a broad range of schools, you never know with these adcoms....best of luck to you! :luck:
yea that sounds good...what happens when your alarm doesn't go off and you're rushing for surgery, and oops you screwed up and the patient died? :thumbdown:

Psycho Doctor said:
yea that sounds good...what happens when your alarm doesn't go off and you're rushing for surgery, and oops you screwed up and the patient died? :thumbdown:
That would be a good time to blame traffic. Or the weather.

Actually, recent reports say that docs who admit their mistakes and apologize to the patient (or patient's family) get sued less often. Just goes to show you. I don't have the citation, sorry.

cmon we're not talking surgery here.... stuff like your alarm not going off isnt uncommon, and like I said, they wont care what happened, yeah traffic or weather may be a better excuse, I think just saying you had a bad day is the best thing to say.....now if we are talking about surgery, yeah that's probably inexcusable, but i dont think any surgeon would ever blame a screwed up surgery on an alarm clock

Blue Scrub said:
cmon we're not talking surgery here.... stuff like your alarm not going off isnt uncommon, and like I said, they wont care what happened, yeah traffic or weather may be a better excuse, I think just saying you had a bad day is the best thing to say.....now if we are talking about surgery, yeah that's probably inexcusable, but i dont think any surgeon would ever blame a screwed up surgery on an alarm clock

chill i was sorta kidding. however it sounds to me like "my dog ate my homework".

liverotcod said:
That would be a good time to blame traffic. Or the weather.

Actually, recent reports say that docs who admit their mistakes and apologize to the patient (or patient's family) get sued less often. Just goes to show you. I don't have the citation, sorry.

hey i'm sure you're right...but along that vein did the OP mess up the first MCAT b/c the alarm clock didn't go off? it seems so cliche to me.

There is always hope :) And as other posters have said, schools will probably commend you on the huge score increase (or at least this is what happend with me). Good luck :luck: You definitly have a shot at some of these top schools.

I was a little worried because Tulane said they would only look at my first score. I didn't know how many other schools did this. Hopefully not too many. It seems a little harsh. I didn't apply because it was the august mcat, and I was late in the cycle and figured I would have a better chance waiting for the next. Let's hope.

trinitrotoluene said:
You will get an interview at almost any school you apply to if you apply in June. Practice for the interviews and apply before your score expires.

That is definately not true. Apply broadly!