Is there hope???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedayatatime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to posting in this forum, but have been reading everyone else's posts for awhile. I am just a little concerned about my chances of actually getting into med school and could really use some advice just in case I need to rethink my goals. I am a non-traditional premed student, but started my postbacc work schortly after graduating with my BS in Child Development. Due to money issues, I am only taking one course each semester so that I can work. I am afraid I am not doing enough to help me get in. My undergrad GPA is a 3.96, but I have gotten 2 As a B+ and 2 Bs in my BCPM. Also, I am currently only doing some research at a med school as far as extracurricular goes. What are your suggestions for improving my chances...besides trying to nail the MCAT:) Are those grades even premed worthy, especially if I continue with the same pattern. I should also mention that I have a W from the first semester of physics..not good :( I talked to a premed advisor and he was very encouraging, but I just need to hear advice that is not sugar-coated...

Members don't see this ad.

I am new to posting in this forum, but have been reading everyone else's posts for awhile. I am just a little concerned about my chances of actually getting into med school and could really use some advice just in case I need to rethink my goals. I am a non-traditional premed student, but started my postbacc work schortly after graduating with my BS in Child Development. Due to money issues, I am only taking one course each semester so that I can work. I am afraid I am not doing enough to help me get in. My undergrad GPA is a 3.96, but I have gotten 2 As a B+ and 2 Bs in my BCPM. Also, I am currently only doing some research at a med school as far as extracurricular goes. What are your suggestions for improving my chances...besides trying to nail the MCAT:) Are those grades even premed worthy, especially if I continue with the same pattern. I should also mention that I have a W from the first semester of physics..not good :( I talked to a premed advisor and he was very encouraging, but I just need to hear advice that is not sugar-coated...

The grades sound fine so far. Try to get "mostly A's" in the rest of the prereqs. Then make sure you are scoring in the competitive range (30ish) on practice MCATs before you actually take it. As for ECs, you MUST get some clinical experience. It is basically a prerequisite to attending med school -- far more than research. So start volunteering, shadowing or working in a patient contact intensive medical setting. Otherwise it sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck.