Is there sight testing in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_opt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm from British Columbia in Canada, and there are a few optical stores that I have a special auto-refractor, which spits out a "Rx". This can be used to legally buy glasses. So, I was wondering if there is such thing in the U.S., or if this can be found in certain states. Any input from you guys would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, we have those, but no decent OD I know would use that as a final rx.

Yes, we have those, but no decent OD I know would use that as a final rx.

Sight-testing in some parts of Canada, BC in particular, is done by opticians that have purchased a system called "eyelogic." In essence it combines an auto-refractor with a automated phoropter, and auto chart. The optician performs the autorefraction and then the computer takes over and drives the refraction, prompting the optician of what to do next.

No, this phenomenon does not exist in the USA, and it is as I understand not yet legal at this time in BC either. However, these opticians have been getting around the rules by paying an MD to rubber stamp the Rx...

Members don't see this ad :)
could this happen in the US? what would it mean for the profession?

could this happen in the US? what would it mean for the profession?

I suppose its possible, but it really is not in the public interest (even though they don't know that). If it did happen, I think the mallmarts, retailers, etc will drop ODs and hire "sight testers". All they care about is hawking their wares, and could care less if someone has eye disease, so "sight-testing" would fit in perfectly.

I suppose its possible, but it really is not in the public interest (even though they don't know that). If it did happen, I think the mallmarts, retailers, etc will drop ODs and hire "sight testers". All they care about is hawking their wares, and could care less if someone has eye disease, so "sight-testing" would fit in perfectly.
With all due respect, I feel like this kind of thinking is a bit myopic.

First, if any of the O's would benefit from sight testers it would be the opticians in the U.S. who have long lobbied to be able to do refractions and contact lens evaluations so that they can sell glasses and contacts from their own optical shops. A good friend of mine lives in Vancouver, BC and has a great practice downtown. He has fought this sight tester issue with their government since it first came up. They have made some headway, but it is very possible that something like this could come to the U.S. if we are not careful and do not keep the public informed.

Second, to lump all retailers together and say they are only about hawking their wares misinforms where some retailers are going. Luxottica is one who is moving hard and fast into new areas where most on this board have not thought to go. See this article to get a little idea of what I am talking about:
http://www.luxottica.com/en/tools/eye-hub-australia.html

I am all for private optometry succeeding in the future, as I am one of them. However, we cannot bury our collective heads in the sand and believe that we will always be the "quality" provider. Where there is big money, there are big ideas that can lead to new ways of thinking.

Does this bother me as a private practitioner? Nope. Competition is good for all of us. It keeps us on our toes and makes us stretch out of our comfort zone to be the best we can be for our patients.

With all due respect, I feel like this kind of thinking is a bit myopic.

First, if any of the O's would benefit from sight testers it would be the opticians in the U.S. who have long lobbied to be able to do refractions and contact lens evaluations so that they can sell glasses and contacts from their own optical shops. A good friend of mine lives in Vancouver, BC and has a great practice downtown. He has fought this sight tester issue with their government since it first came up. They have made some headway, but it is very possible that something like this could come to the U.S. if we are not careful and do not keep the public informed.

Second, to lump all retailers together and say they are only about hawking their wares misinforms where some retailers are going. Luxottica is one who is moving hard and fast into new areas where most on this board have not thought to go. See this article to get a little idea of what I am talking about:
http://www.luxottica.com/en/tools/eye-hub-australia.html

I am all for private optometry succeeding in the future, as I am one of them. However, we cannot bury our collective heads in the sand and believe that we will always be the "quality" provider. Where there is big money, there are big ideas that can lead to new ways of thinking.

Does this bother me as a private practitioner? Nope. Competition is good for all of us. It keeps us on our toes and makes us stretch out of our comfort zone to be the best we can be for our patients.

opticians = retail opticals = sight testers, its all the same crap, and its just about selling things. As I said, it is possible that it comes to the US. Frankly, it is what most laypeople equate with "exam exam", so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

As for retail opticals like lux and their australian "wunderstore", I am thoroughly unimpressed. As I've said before in referencing this exact store (on another thread), I'd be looking for overutilization of diagnostic tests, or just flat selling of unecessary tests. Its what they do with materials, and this is just another revenue stream for the beancounters to take advantage of.

There IS a difference between prescribing and selling.

... There IS a difference between prescribing and selling.

Exactly! They think its all about "1 or 2" but they can not see into the optometrists mind in how the Rx is prescribed.

Also more importantly, what happens when the contact lens patient comes in seeing blurry on every sight visit follow-up, only to find out that they have a retinal tear or some other pathology? Who do the patients "sue" then? The sight vision machine?

...They have made some headway, but it is very possible that something like this could come to the U.S. if we are not careful and do not keep the public informed....

Just examined an invincible 24 yo female who wore the same trial SiHy contacts since February of this year!!! She has NEVER taken them out of her eye :eek::scared::eek:

I can only assume that those in Vancouver will start to have a robust pathology practice now that the bought legislation has passed...

Or maybe the next move is that the sight testing opticians will fight for topical drug rights? Only time will tell...:thumbdown: