Is there such a thing as a malignant ortho program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ace_inhibitor111

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We all have heard of so-called “malignant” general surgery programs. Yet, the attrition rate of ortho is only 5% while for gen surg it’s 18%. Anyone heard stories of “malignant” ortho programs or do they make up a significantly smaller percentage of the pool of programs?
 
Definitely. When I was on the interview trail this year I heard about a few programs that are pretty universally considered malignant. However, as the poster above said, some of that is perspective. I rotated at a program that a lot of people considered a little malignant and I personally loved it and got a long great with the people there. If you’re interested in orthopedics you’ll find out what those programs are as you go and you’ll pretty naturally get a feel for what is right for you. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.