Is this a fair way to determine if path is right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathNeuroIMorFM

Reaction score
I am finished with my research year doing doing pathology research. It's really cool! I've loved path since premed. All my path mentors have been badass. I am much more lifestyle-enjoying than working myself to death and I like the leadership/lab management component of path. I now have a a few publications and many, many posters/abstracts under my belt which should make me somewhat competitive for upper-tier path and maybe some medicine/neuro residencies. I'm not 100% sure if I would ever get bored looking at slides. Main thing I dislike is it may restrict where I may be able to live and work.

There's also lots I like about neuro. The pathologies, physical exam, technology, and ability to work outpatient (I dislike inpatient) are all really great. I also vibe well my neurologist mentors. Main thing I dislike is treating patients with impaired ability to communicate, as sometimes I get a little frustrated with that.

The reason I like both is I like diagnostic side of medicine more than treatment.

So now I'm starting clinical years thinking about what I'll do for the rest of my life and I think it will come down to this: If I like patient interactions, I'll continue my journey into neuro, psych (unlikely), or IM. If I don't really like it, I'll continue my journey into path.

I am aware neuro-path exists, but I don't consider that an exact compromise. I also don't like radiology much (not sure why, I just don't).

Does this seem like a healthy/reasonable approach? Is there more I should consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So now I'm starting clinical years thinking about what I'll do for the rest of my life and I think it will come down to this: If I like patient interactions, I'll continue my journey into neuro, psych (unlikely), or IM. If I don't really like it, I'll continue my journey into path.
I completely agree with you here. Your major branch point is about whether you enjoy patient interactions. You haven't started your clinical years yet, so definitely go through every rotation with an open mind and make the most of every day. Spend time reflecting at the end of every rotation about what you enjoyed and didn't enjoy, and ask questions about what the day-to-day is like. Your experience thus far is incomplete, since you haven't done your clinical rotations. Also, remember that you can also have a career in clinical research, where you can combine clinic and research time.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe you will find a home in academia. We need those folks. Just wish they all had to walk….. never mind. PHILLY TD!

Reactions: 1 user
neurology is not a bad choice. Lots of opportunities for diagnostics like EMG, and also some interesting radiologic correlation things. I would stay away from IM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree with you here. Your major branch point is about whether you enjoy patient interactions. You haven't started your clinical years yet, so definitely go through every rotation with an open mind and make the most of every day. Spend time reflecting at the end of every rotation about what you enjoyed and didn't enjoy, and ask questions about what the day-to-day is like. Your experience thus far is incomplete, since you haven't done your clinical rotations. Also, remember that you can also have a career in clinical research, where you can combine clinic and research time.
Absolutely. I'll keep an open mind and try to apply other rotations towards what I'm striving for. The only thing I have strong opinions against is surgery.

I believe you will find a home in academia. We need those folks. Just wish they all had to walk….. never mind. PHILLY TD!
Rigged game, imo. Holding call was stupid.

neurology is not a bad choice. Lots of opportunities for diagnostics like EMG, and also some interesting radiologic correlation things. I would stay away from IM.
Yeah, that's what really draws me in. Really fun and interesting diagnostics. Treatment also seems to be getting more advanced every year.

Any reason why I should stay away from IM?