is this a feasible time schedule for classes/applications

Started by bobafett1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bobafett1

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I was wondering if a 1-year plan is doable:

Fall: Bio 1, Physics 1, Chem 2 (I have an AP credit)
Spring:Bio 2, Physics 2, Org 1
Early Summer Session: Org 2
Take MCAT in May, apply early July
During this 10 months: shadow physicians, work in hospital 10-20 hrs/week
Take Chem I after I apply in the fall.

The other coursework option is this:
Fall: Bio 1, Phys 1, Chem 1
Spring: Bio 2, Phys 2, Chem 2
Early Summer session: Org 1
Take Org 2 after I apply

That looks "cleaner", but then I won't complete Org 2 by application time. So it is a question if I have Chem 1 or Org 2 to complete after the application submission date. The second option is less stressful and more organized. But if completing Org 2 is a "must" to realistically be successful, then I would have to go with the first option.

I'm a straight-A quant student, Ivy League Grad. I can handle tough courses and dense schedules.
 
Last edited:
Many medical schools don't accept AP credits, or at least require you to take an upper-division chem course to replace it. Your schedule also does not have Biochemistry, which is a requirement at many schools and is heavily covered on the MCAT (same have reported 30% of the MCAT being biochem). You are also going to need volunteer time, clinical and non-clinical.

3 science courses per semester is not bad. Your best bet is not to apply next year, but the following year so you have high enough extracurriculars and finished the coursework needed to take the MCAT.
 
Thanks for the feedback.... definitely helpful. The AP credit would be used as a gadget to jump straight into Chem 2. I would actually be taking Chem 1, but after the application submission. The reason to take Chem 2 first is so I can get to Org 1 as soon as possible.

I don't find the topics difficult. But it certainly is time consuming to read the dense texbooks, take good notes, and complete sufficient amounts of practice problems.

I was planning on studying biochemistry, sociology and psychology on my own with the textbooks. But it might be too much of a stretch to take 3 science classes with labs per semester as a commuter, do clinical volunteer work, study those extra topics on my own, and prepare for the MCAT all in one year.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd do the second option, but even that's not ideal. Orgo 2 is not really covered on the MCAT, and Orgo 1 is barely covered. Biochem is emphasized on the MCAT, If I had to pick, I'd self study Orgo 1 and take Biochem instead. Also, not all schools require Orgo 2, so you can just see what schools you get into and then decide to take it or not.
 
Thanks, that's great feedback! I will have to prioritize BioChem more. I'm surprised that Org 2 might not even be required for certain applications.
 
Much like the timeline in your last thread, you're trying to rush it. To make this work you'll have to self-study at least part of organic chem, biochem, psych... I don't care how intelligent you are, there are only so many hours in a day.