Jul 1, 2013
Troy university (satellite campus) in Fort Walton Beach. They have a Masters of Science in Counseling Psychology and before I consider attending I wanted to make sure they have all the proper accreditation. They told me they are but I can't find them on any website. I'm not even sure what all the accreditations are that they need, so I really need help with this. Here is a link to the program: http://homer.troy.edu/data/academic/edu/programs/COE-ClinicalMentalHealth.pdf


Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Good question.

From a few slides in:

"The Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs offered at the Florida campuses and the Phenix City campus are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)."

CACREP is the acred. you want for a counseling program…and it looks like this program has met that standard. You'll want to make sure that the program is still CACREP acred., as the presentation looks like it is about outcomes from '09-'10. In all likelihood they are still accredited, but you'll want to cover your bases.

Be wary of any program that advertises an alternative accreditation status, because that sometimes means the specific program isn't actually accredited by the prevailing prof. org of the field. There are other legit acred. bodies, but they are at the university level, and not meant for the program level.

For instance, down in the South there is SACS, which is the regional accrediting body for universities in the South. Any legit university will have this acred., but that only applies to the university and doesn't mean anything for each individual program. Each program is still responsible for getting acred. from the prevailing organization/association for the field.

As an aside, the Amer. Psych Association (APA) only accredits doctoral programs, so you won't see any MS program with this designation. CACREP is what you want for counseling.
Last edited: