Is this a good idea for possible future Psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicuk

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

medicuk said:
Hi there

I am a med student in the UK hoping to be a psychiatrist in the US.

I am currently in the process of arranging experience with:

a) New York State Psychiatric Institute at Columbia University

b) Miami School of Medicine, dept. of Neurology

If you had to pick one, which one would you choose and why? Which has the best rep?

What are living costs like in Miami compared to NYC (comparison prices please!!)

I am torn between the two, it is just a one month placement. When I come to apply for positions in the US which will look better? Or maybe do you think I should do both positiong (time permitting?)

Finally, does anyone know of any summer programs where you get a stipend or something to support yourself while doing some experience like this?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Medicuk

I would go with Columbia.
1) If you want to go into psych, I would think a psych experience would be better than neurology, though that would be good too.
2) Columbia has a very good reputation in psychiatry, and a letter of recommendation from there would go a long way I would think
3) New York has many great psych programs and a strong history of excellence in psychiatry, so you can't go wrong with the city
4) How can you beat spending a month living in New York? What a great place to visit. (somewhat biased myself. Miami is nice too)