is this a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msu08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't set my date yet, but I was thinking of taking the dat over my winter break which is about 3 and a half weeks. A friend of mine told me I'd probably have to study at least 8 hours a day. I took kaplan test prep, which the class itself didn't help, but I have all those practice tests and resources online that i have yet to look at. I'll be applying this spring, so my other option would be to wait until may to take the test. I have a really hard time determining if I should study for the test or for classes... I always feel more obligated to study for my classes because I always seem to have a test and I really want my grades to be good. I guess my question is, do you think it's a good idea to cram? I feel as though i may do better after studying for a few weeks straight and not having classes or anything else interfere. Having looked at all the info and such I'm just afraid it won't be enough time to go through everything thoroughly and will probably be highly stressful, as if it isn't stressful enough. Any advice?? I'm just stuck and not sure what to do... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, you'll probably have to study 8 hours per day. And yes, it will be stressful. However, applying after winter break is a bit late.

hey- im in the same boat you are. i decided that right now i need to focus on my classes. i try to get in a at least an 1-2 hours a day(usually 1) of dat studying. i decided that i will study 8 hours a day over my vacation like you said but in addition, i will continue studying for the dats during the first 2-3 weeks of next semester since nothing is really going on then anyways. hopefully by then i will feel confident enough to take the dat without sacrificing my school grades. good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to study for DATs during the school year too, and there really is no time. My 3 sciences are kicking my @ss. So I'm aiming for winter break, where I can do 40hrs a week of DATs for 3 or so weeks.

I am too having a hard time getting it together in between finishing up Organic II my last class and studying for the DAT. I was trying for 2007 but its too late so I opt to take the DAT in April giving me more time to study. I will apply late May 2007. I took a few years off due to so much pressure from my bosses saying, DON'T go to dental school be a "Hygenist" it easier and less stress ... etc. But, I have always wanted to be a dentist and decided I will become a dentist ... I don't care if I will be making my own dentures time I get into dental school. So, any advise on studying, I am weak in Science and MATH! Took a pre-test and I am sadly in the teens!

I think you'll be better off studying for the DAT when you don't have classes to deal with at the same time. 3.5 weeks should be enough with 8 hrs a day. My only other suggestion would be to take the DAT early next summer cuz you wouldn't be at any disadvantage since you'd still be applying early, but i think either of these 2 options are better than studying for the DAT during next semester.